Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > General Discussion > Questions and Comments

Doom?
Old
chickenpatty878

Thumbs down Doom? - 03-08-2010, 09:59 PM

Hello, I'm new to the fourms, and have a newbie question. When i first learned that making games in Alice was possible (i only knew that my terrible animations existed), the first idea that popped into my head was a fps Doom clone. I searched for one, and found nothing similar.

Is this just a very unoriginal and stupid idea of mine, or has it been done before? I'd like to make something as close to the original as possible (most likely not using original textures), and then change it into a totally different plot / enemy after I learn new coding. But it seems like I'm the only one... have I not looked hard enough, or should i just forget all about it and come up with something different?

Old
x2495iiii
Super Moderator

Default 03-08-2010, 10:47 PM

No, it's not unoriginal and it's very likely you could make something similar to it in Alice. You'd just need to know how to.

How experienced are you with Alice?

(')>

Old
chickenpatty878

Default 03-08-2010, 10:58 PM

Well, I've been using it for about a year and a half now, but for short animations in a web design class; nothing complicated at all. For about a week I have been understanding a lot more, so I think its possible for me.

I'd definitely need to look up things along the way though. Right now i have been experimenting on getting the controls close to right. I haven't the slightest clue how to set up multiple bullets or scores yet, but i have been learning quickly.

Old
x2495iiii
Super Moderator

Default 03-08-2010, 11:44 PM

If you need help with a certain concept, I'd be happy to answer any questions you have.

Did the first Doom have visible bullets? It's always been my policy to avoid using visible bullets when possible?

Scores are easy to do, though. 3d text + set text to [variable] as a number = scores.

(')>

Old
shaydon

Default 03-09-2010, 08:12 PM

I am working on counterstrike 1.6 at the moment i would gladly help with any problems =)

Old
dubastot

Default 03-13-2010, 09:05 AM

Count me in for helping too!

Old
chickenpatty878

Default 03-16-2010, 09:51 AM

How necessary is it that i use Alice 2.2? Is it possbile to set text to variable in 2.0.7? I am using Linux, and can't seem to install 2.2, even with Wine. But once i get my laptop with Windows working again, I should be able to finish the basic system for what i've been working on.