Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > Educators > Teaching with Alice

We've finished the Spanish version of Alice 2.2
Old
Morpheo69

Default We've finished the Spanish version of Alice 2.2 - 01-21-2010, 11:36 AM

We've finished the Spanish version of the programming environment Alice (i18n-L10n process).

Now we are waiting to know if we can use the images of Alice to publish the guide in Spanish with them and we would like to know if you can autorize us to keep on using the Alice startimage but with the spanish title "Alicia".

This could be a great oportunity for teachers of differents countries because from now on Alice could be found on others languages.

Gabe, LanceA or x2495iiii please contact us about the images.

Wher can i download this version?
Old
romarva

Default Wher can i download this version? - 02-19-2010, 06:51 AM

Hi i am from Argentina and I want to download the spanish version. Where can i do it?

Old
lanceA

Default 02-19-2010, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo69 View Post
We've finished the Spanish version of the programming environment Alice (i18n-L10n process).

Now we are waiting to know if we can use the images of Alice to publish the guide in Spanish with them and we would like to know if you can autorize us to keep on using the Alice startimage but with the spanish title "Alicia".

This could be a great oportunity for teachers of differents countries because from now on Alice could be found on others languages.

I am not allowed to authorize that, I am merely a teacher. Gabe can put you in touch with those who can help, or your might wish to speak to Meir and ask how he received approval.

Good luck and I would be very interested in reviewing your Spanish version of Alice!

Old
x2495iiii
Super Moderator

Default 02-19-2010, 10:54 PM

Meir didn't receive approval, and that's what I've been trying to say since Morpheo's first post.

Now, keep in mind this only applies to you if the modified product is radically different enough to be considered a different program (if all you did was edit the XML tutorials to be Spanish instead of English, I doubt they'll mind. Going any further, though, is pushing it.)

According to open-source code law, it is perfectly legal to alter the code of Alice in any way you see fit, claim the result as your own, and distribute it as you see fit.

However, copyright law states that you CANNOT use the original name, images, trademarks, or other implied affiliations with the unmodified Alice code or it's creators, Carnegie-Mellon and the Alice Team. This is to protect you in the event that they were to try to claim your work as their own (not that they would), and to protect them from blame in the event that your modifications cause damage to the program and make it defective. It's there for both of your sakes.

To sum it up:

You MAY say that the program was "based on Alice" or "derived from Alice"
You MAY name it whatever you like

You MAY NOT, without express permission from the Alice Team, use the name, images, or other trademarks originally reserved by the Alice Team.

Tell you what, though, I'll see what the team's view on the matter is, alright?

(')>

Great news!
Old
litomd

Thumbs up Great news! - 02-20-2010, 11:43 PM

Alice in Spanish is such a good news that I couldn't avoid a quick message to congratulate the team that made it.

Great job!!!!

And of course, there are many of current users in Latin America (like me) that would love to get it and try it.

What did you do? To what extent did you translate the program? Tutorials? Methods, properties, functions? "Moverse", "muévase" instead of "Move"? User interface? Is it fully compatible with the english version? Any web site to follow the project and get more information?

It is good also that you work with version 2.2, but what about version 3.0?

Best wishes!

Leonel

Old
zonedabone

Default 02-21-2010, 07:56 PM

That's pretty amazing!

'Apple Macintosh' - An anagram of 'Complaints Heap'

M.A.C.I.N.T.O.S.H. - Machine Always Crashes, If Not, The Operating System Hangs.

You're *such* a mac person.

Old
Morpheo69

Default 02-23-2010, 01:13 PM

We've finished the internationalization and localization process. We've translated tutorials, the interface, methods ("Move => Mover"), example-tutorial worlds, the programming language, etc. It's totally compatible with Alice 2.2 and at this moment we don´t have website, sorry.

It´s was our final degree proyect, and -at this moment- we aren't thinking about translate Alice 3.0. Sorry about that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by litomd View Post
Alice in Spanish is such a good news that I couldn't avoid a quick message to congratulate the team that made it.

Great job!!!!

And of course, there are many of current users in Latin America (like me) that would love to get it and try it.

What did you do? To what extent did you translate the program? Tutorials? Methods, properties, functions? "Moverse", "muévase" instead of "Move"? User interface? Is it fully compatible with the english version? Any web site to follow the project and get more information?

It is good also that you work with version 2.2, but what about version 3.0?

Best wishes!

Leonel

Alice translated to Spanish
Old
litomd

Default Alice translated to Spanish - 06-02-2010, 01:36 PM

I apologize for not checking this post more often. I had not seen your answer.

I am very interested in getting a copy of your version of Alice in Spanish.

If you find trouble uploading it through the available web sites I would greatly appreciate to have at least your version of the XML files that the tutorial uses in the regular version.

I understand that one can replace the original XML files that come with Alice with edited ones, so the explanations and messages can be translated, and I think that is what you did in this case.

Also, if there is any documentation you may have produced as part of this project I am interested in reading it.

If possible please contact me.

Congratulations again! Great job!

Old
Morpheo69

Default 02-06-2011, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo69 View Post

Firstly, apologies for the time it’s taken us to prepare the release of Rebeca, the internationalised and Spanish version of the original Alice
There have been many requests from people asking to try Rebeca out and we apologise for not having been able to reply to all of these email requests as we would have liked to.

We’ve created a webpage through Google Code which gives instructions on how to use Rebeca, gives the opportunity to try it out and can also be used as an exchange of ideas by its future community. We’re hoping the new webpage will open the doors to all who wish to take part in the project.

We can only thank all those who have shown interest in Rebeca & Alice and we hope that you will go on to enjoy using it as much as we have in making it.

Thank you for your time and attention,

Rebeca Team.

http://code.google.com/p/rebeca/