Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > General Discussion > Questions and Comments

Explanation of Methods?
Old
bclamore

Default Explanation of Methods? - 12-03-2009, 02:16 PM

Hi all,

It would be of great value if we could have detailed explanations of typical methods. I.e., what they do. Does anyone know if this exists somewhere?

Thank you.

Old
x2495iiii
Super Moderator

Default 12-03-2009, 02:34 PM

Exactly what do you mean by "typical methods?" You mean the built in ones or the tiles at the bottom of the screen (and in the methods tab)?

(')>

Old
lanceA

Default 12-03-2009, 08:51 PM

I am unaware of a 'free site' for obtaining a description of all Alice primitive methods and functions. However, I know of two books which provide this information.

Joel Adams devotes an Appendix in his book, 'Alice in Action with Java' which describes each primitive method and function.

Also, Tony Gaddis' book, 'Starting Out with Alice' contains information on the standard methods and functions.

Good luck,

Old
x2495iiii
Super Moderator

Default 12-03-2009, 10:40 PM

Yeah that's lanceA for you. He's got all the professional books and software that even sort of relate to Alice (I seem to remember him saying he was able to order CamStudio, serious stuff there).

I actually meant to ask you how that new book was. Is it helpful at all?

Anyway, if you can't get the books yourself, just explain to me what you mean by "primitive methods" and I'll be happy to help.

(')>

Online-Tutorial available
Old
martina-r

Lightbulb Online-Tutorial available - 12-04-2009, 05:40 AM

Hello,

I think, this source would be very helpful:
http://www.dickbaldwin.com/tocalice.htm

Very voluminous, I didn't go through the whole text. You'll surely find explanations for all "standard" methods (f.e. world-level methods and class-level methods).

I don't yet know the mentioned books, ordered already "Learning to Program with Alice" by Wanda Dann, Stephen Cooper and Randy Pausch, waiting for delivery

Greetings

Martina

Old
lanceA

Default 12-04-2009, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by x2495iiii View Post
Yeah that's lanceA for you. He's got all the professional books and software that even sort of relate to Alice (I seem to remember him saying he was able to order CamStudio, serious stuff there).

I actually meant to ask you how that new book was. Is it helpful at all?

Anyway, if you can't get the books yourself, just explain to me what you mean by "primitive methods" and I'll be happy to help.
Friend, if you have a problem with me use your SUPER-POWERS to do something about it. In the mean time do what a 'Moderator' does, and moderate. But kindly stop the 'snide' remarks......such as...
11-22-2009 10:59 PM
x2495iiii

Oh. No, because then chris101b, DickBaldwin, lanceA (shudder), and especially DrJim (over 1000 posts! Wow!) would be moderators. No, I became a moderator because I've dedicated so much time to helping nearly everyone on the Alice forums and providing models, examples, and games for you all to enjoy.

Last edited by lanceA; 12-04-2009 at 06:09 PM.

Old
x2495iiii
Super Moderator

Default 12-04-2009, 06:43 PM

Actually that last post wasn't intended to be snide at all. I truly saw you as an authority figure in that field, someone to learn from in the event that those resources are unavailable to you. My question: "Is it helpful at all?" was sincere. Is it helpful? It sounded interesting, but I haven't read it, so I don't know.

Granted, that comment was unprofessional, but you're the one who never responded to my explanation of my actions as a moderator, instead choosing to:

-Defend an inactive user
-Misinterperet the words "close" and "thread"
-Accuse me of abusing my "super powers" (again, if I wanted to abuse my power, I'd just ban you and delete all your posts. I won't do that, though, because it'd prove you right)
-Ignore my response which tried (very politely, I might add) to explain my actions and clear up your misinterperetations
-Misinterperet yet ANOTHER of my statements, an intended compliment, turning it into an insult
and
-Focus on a personal comment of mine (which wasn't even a public post, unlike both of yours)

Which one of us has the problem again?

(')>

Last edited by x2495iiii; 12-05-2009 at 05:26 PM.

Old
x2495iiii
Super Moderator

Default 12-05-2009, 05:15 PM

So, how much does anyone want to bet that he won't respond to this one either, and instead just visit every now and then until I say something else he can misinterperet?

(')>

Old
lanceA

Default 12-05-2009, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by x2495iiii View Post
So, how much does anyone want to bet that he won't respond to this one either, and instead just visit every now and then until I say something else he can misinterperet?
There comes a time Friend to let it drop. I am interested in teaching people programming skills - NOT how to increase their kill count!

You obviously missed this post, scroll down:
http://www.alice.org/community/showt...ajax#post11834

I have now 'dropped it'

Old
x2495iiii
Super Moderator

Default 12-05-2009, 08:42 PM

And you missed this one, Friend-o.

http://www.alice.org/community/showthread.php?t=3278

and this one

http://www.alice.org/community/showthread.php?p=12057

AND this one

http://www.alice.org/community/showthread.php?t=3143

and, oh, about 700 or so others. I don't know if you've noticed, but I've probably answered more questions than anyone else on these forums (besides, of course, DrJim).

Point is, we're both here to help, so how about we go back to doing just that, eh?

(')>

Tags
method explanation