Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > Alice 2 > Suggestion Box

Alice and VISTA
Old
Ora

Default Alice and VISTA - 07-09-2008, 01:45 PM

I have some students with VISTA and we are having trouble with the Alice libraries loading very slowly. Does anybody else have this problem ? Any solutions
Thanks

Alice and Vista
Old
hgs

Default Alice and Vista - 07-10-2008, 04:48 AM

When you say "libraries" do you mean the collections of 3D objects, as opposed to program libraries? 3D objects in Alice are basically zipped. Now, all the unzipping should be done within Alice, but I will just mention that Vista's zip is notoriously slow. I have not noticed the loading of libraries being particularly slow myself (or I got used to it). It might be useful to provide a specific example, and compare speeds on XP (or something else) and Vista. Also, have you tried this with the 2.2 Alice beta, because that could be useful feedback?

Vista
Old
Ora

Default Vista - 07-13-2008, 01:48 PM

Hi, thanks, what happens is when you after having been in Alice for a while so assuming the libraries are loaded and unzipped if i want to add an object the first couple of classes appear fine but when I scroll all I see are lines of color and then have to wait for each page I scroll to load - very frustrating. In contrast I have XP at work and no problem there. My students are having the same situation on their home computers with VISTA.

Old
sk8r4life1

Default 07-14-2008, 11:12 AM

i'm using vista right now and its working great.. When your students installed alice did they install EVERYTHING that came with it? (All of the figures etc.)

If needed, you may want to run Alice in compatibility mode for windows XP. In order to do this, right click on the Alice exe file, and click Properties. Under properties there will be a "Compatibility" tab, and just check the box that says "Run this program in compatibility mode for: Windows XP"

If this doesn't work, Check your graphics card to see if its compatible with Alice, or make sure that your computer will run the correct colors when running Alice. (i dont know how to change that... yet sorry >_<)

Old
dotcj2

Default 07-27-2008, 08:34 PM

I am using Vista and I dont have any problems. Other than the common "Bug Error" but I assumed that it is normal because if you press cancel it goes away.

Old
ulrich200

Thumbs down 07-30-2008, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgs View Post
. . . Also, have you tried this with the 2.2 Alice beta? . . .
I don't recommend 2.2 with vista it's VERY buggy, as 2.0 is with vista anyway and when i try to use 2.0 now it wont work

Old
sk8r4life1

Default 07-31-2008, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulrich200 View Post
I don't recommend 2.2 with vista it's VERY buggy, as 2.0 is with vista anyway and when i try to use 2.0 now it wont work
Have you installed the latest Java? You need this in order to run Alice