Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > General Discussion > Questions and Comments

alice on linux
Old
ShakeYoSenses

Default alice on linux - 12-01-2006, 04:38 PM

is it possible to use the Alice software on linux systems like Ubuntu?

Old
gabe
Administrator

Default 12-02-2006, 12:49 PM

We have had 2 reports from Alice users regarding Ubuntu 6.06.

One reported success.

The other, using a 64-bit AMD system with nVidia video drivers, was unsuccessful.

Please try it out and let us know your results!

Old
EdyEft

Default 12-03-2006, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabe View Post
We have had 2 reports from Alice users regarding Ubuntu 6.06.

One reported success.

The other, using a 64-bit AMD system with nVidia video drivers, was unsuccessful.

Please try it out and let us know your results!
I'm running it on Ubuntu 6.10 using the multi-verse repository sun java packages. The GNU java package defaulted in Ubuntu kicks up some errors on start and fails, Suns works fine.

make sure you either uninstall gnu java OR sudo update-alternative -java in ubuntu to set sun's as the default java version (you can tell by running java -version and if it's sun's your good) Hope this helps

Console Dump For Exact Versions
Quote:
Alice version: 2.0.7
os.name: Linux
os.version: 2.6.17-10-386
os.arch: i386
java.vm.name: Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM
java.vm.version: 1.5.0_08-b03
user.dir:

Last edited by EdyEft; 12-03-2006 at 11:56 AM.

Old
modvavet

Cool 06-27-2007, 11:53 AM

I've got it running on Kubuntu 7.04 (feisty). I'm actually currently using it for a class project. It's a bit quirky (it has a nasty habit of crashing the gui and restarting x-server), but other than that, it all seems to work...

Success on SuSE 10.1
Old
HowardF64

Default Success on SuSE 10.1 - 10-02-2007, 11:58 PM

Hi,

I thought I'd report to the group that I've been able to run Alice on my Dell Laptop which I made dual boot with SuSE 10.1.

I had to turn off compiz to get it to work (and the animation is a bit slow)
I don't know the exact specs of this computer (never worried about it), but it's 32-bit, Intel Centrino, Intel 915GM graphics card. Anything else you need to know?

_Howard

Alice on Ubuntu AMD64
Old
pbceeman75

Default Alice on Ubuntu AMD64 - 12-26-2007, 10:04 PM

I got Alice to work on Ubuntu 7.10 AMD64 with nVidia drivers. I had to download http://download.java.net/media/jogl/...inux-amd64.zip and replace the contents of jogl/lib under alice with these files. I then modified my run-alice as follows:

/usr/lib/jvm/java-1.5.0-sun/bin/java -classpath ./gnu/getopt-1.0.7.jar:./jogl/lib/gluegen-rt.jar:./jython-2.1/jython.jar:./lib/alice.jar:./jogl/lib/jogl.jar:./xerces-2_6_2/resolver.jar:./vecmath/lib/ext/vecmath.jar:./xerces-2_6_2/xercesImpl.jar:./xerces-2_6_2/xml-apis.jar:./xerces-2_6_2/xmlParserAPIs.jar:./JMF-2.1.1e/lib/customizer.jar:./JMF-2.1.1e/lib/jmf.jar:./JMF-2.1.1e/lib/mediaplayer.jar:./JMF-2.1.1e/lib/multiplayer.jar:./mp3/lib/ext/mp3plugin.jar -Dpython.home=./jython-2.1 -Djava.library.path=./jogl/lib/linux-i586 -Xincgc -Xmx512m -Dalice.useJavaBasedSplashScreen=false edu.cmu.cs.stage3.alice.authoringtool.JAlice -o -e

Old
tullygray

Default 07-24-2008, 09:07 AM

I'm running it on my gentoo system with sun-jdk-1.6 and it seems that I can't click and drag. I've only just started using it so I can't really add much else.

Old
tullygray

Default 07-27-2008, 03:19 AM

Ok java 1.4 let's me drag-and-drop. All systems go...

Old
hdixon

Default 08-05-2008, 01:25 PM

I have installed it on Ubuntu 8.04. It "runs" but manipulating the objects using drag n drop in any of the windows is very slow. The first time I installed it and test ran it the objects moved around just fine with the mouse. Drag n drop starting with the second time the application started has been a bit problematic. Not sure whats going on. Need to lok at the java versions I guess and try the alternates.

Alice on 64 bit Ubuntu 8.04 - attempt
Old
goldenfleece

Default Alice on 64 bit Ubuntu 8.04 - attempt - 01-26-2009, 05:05 PM

I saw this attempt by pbceeman (below). I'm trying something very similar on Ubuntu 8.04. I did the a similar jobl/lib replacement using older 1.0.0 jogl files. I may need to change my run-alice file but I may also need to use a different set of jogl files. Another installer mentioned that 32 bit installs are more successful. If anyone figures this out, I'd love to know how you did it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbceeman75 View Post
I got Alice to work on Ubuntu 7.10 AMD64 with nVidia drivers. I had to download http://download.java.net/media/jogl/...inux-amd64.zip and replace the contents of jogl/lib under alice with these files. I then modified my run-alice as follows:

/usr/lib/jvm/java-1.5.0-sun/bin/java -classpath ./gnu/getopt-1.0.7.jar:./jogl/lib/gluegen-rt.jar:./jython-2.1/jython.jar:./lib/alice.jar:./jogl/lib/jogl.jar:./xerces-2_6_2/resolver.jar:./vecmath/lib/ext/vecmath.jar:./xerces-2_6_2/xercesImpl.jar:./xerces-2_6_2/xml-apis.jar:./xerces-2_6_2/xmlParserAPIs.jar:./JMF-2.1.1e/lib/customizer.jar:./JMF-2.1.1e/lib/jmf.jar:./JMF-2.1.1e/lib/mediaplayer.jar:./JMF-2.1.1e/lib/multiplayer.jar:./mp3/lib/ext/mp3plugin.jar -Dpython.home=./jython-2.1 -Djava.library.path=./jogl/lib/linux-i586 -Xincgc -Xmx512m -Dalice.useJavaBasedSplashScreen=false edu.cmu.cs.stage3.alice.authoringtool.JAlice -o -e