Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > Alice 2 > Share Objects

Hey
Old
King Gamer(gorit)

Default Hey - 03-18-2010, 09:00 PM

Shaydon, what Jediaction said is ok. I will explain later.

Old
jediaction

Default 03-19-2010, 08:22 AM

Thanks for the support

FaceBook: www.facebook.com/SalokinGames

Old
shaydon

Default 03-20-2010, 03:01 AM

explain? plz

Old
x2495iiii
Super Moderator

Default 03-20-2010, 04:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by autoteck View Post
rest assured...its not just you....there's a special interest group here to promote violence in Alice...the major players are scoring most of the views...they will be dealt with by administration.
Administration's busy right now, so here I am and here's my take:

Violence is a controversial issue, to be sure. It can be easily shot down as a bad thing, capable of nothing but the corruption of young minds, and it is also very difficult to defend for that same reason. However, as Niteshifter said, violence has more applications than simply corruption. In my opinion, Resident Penguin is not violent. It features guns and shooting, but has no gore, no mutilation, and no graphic images that mentally disturb a young person. It DOES, however, hold an immense wealth of data that can be used as an example to starting Alice programmers of what Alice is really capable of.

In short, shooting may not have been on the Alice Team's mind when they created Alice, but it's been acknowledged as acceptable and potentially educational by both gabe and myself, so it stays, end of discussion.

Now if I were you, autoteck, I'd start trying to come up with creative ways to use things like his gun in NON-violent ways, such as making it a paintball gun or a super-soaker or something. that way, you could compromise and use the object yourself without violating your own personal beliefs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaydon View Post
k then i will not upload any more models to the alice community everyone else can get their models elsewhere
No need for that. Only make that decision if that's what you truly want. As I said before, guns and weapons are not inappropriate objects on the Alice forums. I will decide what is inappropriate or not, and if someone does step out of the realm of decency, I will delete the post and the attachment and suspend/ban the user, no questions asked.

To clarify: guns and weapons are okay.

Severed body parts, blood spurts, and anything referring directly to immoral or debased acts is inappropriate.

Beyond that: use common sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niteshifter View Post
There are many mathematical and programming aspects that go into programming a first person shooter that I'm fairly sure you don't understand. I've seen the development of a place that wanted to promote programming and one of the main games they have is a shooting game. After a few years, these shooting games got so advanced to the point where the guns had used trigonometry so the projectiles had an arc to them, there was AI implemented and quite a lot more features which all came from people who barely knew programming when they started.

Now, I'm not saying that this genre of games are the only ones to do since the same place also made other games such as tetris, solitaire, etc. but there is both very advanced math (such as calculus) and advanced programming that can go into shooter games and I'm very surprised that you, as a professor nonetheless, had no clue about this.

I would also suggest that you don't act like you are part of the administration as you are not and therefore you can't give warnings on behalf of those that are in the administration. There's also no rule or regulation that suggests that shooter games either need specific permission from the Alice team to make or that you are restricted to certain genres, so I suggest you back up your claims with proof before stating them.
Good man.

(')>

Last edited by x2495iiii; 03-22-2010 at 10:52 PM.

Old
jediaction

Default 03-20-2010, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by x2495iiii View Post
Administration's busy right now, so here I am and here's my take:

Violence is a controversial issue, to be sure. It can be easily shot down as a bad thing, capable of nothing but the corruption of young minds, and it is also very difficult to defend for that same reason. however, as Niteshifter said, violence has more applications than simply corruption. In my opinion, Resident Penguin is not violent. It features gun and shooting, but has no gore, no mutilation, and no graphic images that could scar or scare a young person for life. It DOES, however, hold an immense wealth of data that can be used as an example to starting Alice programmers of what Alice is really capable of.
Ha. You use a gun, so we can make FPS games just leave out the blood. Got it

Old
King Gamer(gorit)

Default 03-20-2010, 11:41 AM

What about crude humor. Can we make games like Rayman Raving Rabbids. That game is hilarious.

Old
jediaction

Default 03-20-2010, 03:49 PM

i THINK CRUDE HUMOR IS OK

Old
lanceA

Default 03-20-2010, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaydon View Post
how about we ask x2495iii if he agree's with you he can shut the thread down
I doubt he has the power to shut any thread down, he's only a Moderator, not an Owner. And I agree about the over abuse of violence being discussed in this forum. Somehow I am not sure violence/FPS/etc. was what Randy Pausch had in mind when this room was established. It has definitely turned into a kiddie forum and as several educators have been discussing offline, the encourgement of violence in the forum will be brought up at the upcoming ALICE conference. As educators we are NOT impressed with converting images of AK-47's, M16's, bazookas, etc., etc. Hope to see you there, x2495iii !!!!!

P.S. I have already received a 1 point demerit for a previous post, so this may take me to 2 points.

Last edited by lanceA; 03-20-2010 at 04:49 PM.

Old
shaydon

Default 03-20-2010, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanceA View Post
I doubt he has the power to shut any thread down, he's only a Moderator, not an Owner.
i think he can

Old
jediaction

Default 03-20-2010, 05:06 PM

Dont underestimate X