Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > Alice 2 > Bugs and Troubleshooting

Alice error on playback
Old
bonecandy

Default Alice error on playback - 10-13-2006, 09:54 PM

Hello!
I'm getting really frustrated here. I've been creating a pretty elaborate Alice project for a while, and suddenly it stops working. When I click play, it immediately gives me two errors in a row: Error during simulation, and Error during playback. The annoying thing is that I have tried to debug it by deleting EVERYTHING in the world. I've deleted all my objects, all my code, everything. It STILL gives me an error. It only happens with this world. So I've come to question the world statistics. Under world statistics at the bottom of the program, "face count" is all in red. and gives me a number around 77,000. I think that's bad. However, when I start deleting things, it doesn't go down. Nor does the objects counter in the statistics. I would think my computer can handle it. It's pretty fast: PowerMac G5 with 1.5Gb of RAM.
Anyway, here is the error output:

Error during simulation.

Alice version: 2.0.7
os.name: Mac OS X
os.version: 10.4.8
os.arch: ppc
java.vm.name: Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM
java.vm.version: 1.4.2-54
user.dir: /Applications/Alice.app/Contents/Required

Throwable that caused the error:
java.lang.NullPointerException
at edu.cmu.cs.stage3.alice.core.Sandbox.scheduleBehav iors(Sandbox.java:69)
at edu.cmu.cs.stage3.alice.core.World.scheduleBehavio rs(World.java:444)
at edu.cmu.cs.stage3.alice.core.World.schedule(World. java:486)
at edu.cmu.cs.stage3.alice.core.clock.DefaultClock.sc hedule(DefaultClock.java:94)
at edu.cmu.cs.stage3.alice.authoringtool.AuthoringToo l$11.run(AuthoringTool.java:689)
at edu.cmu.cs.stage3.alice.authoringtool.util.Default Scheduler.simulateOnce(DefaultScheduler.java:115)
at edu.cmu.cs.stage3.alice.authoringtool.util.Default Scheduler.run(DefaultScheduler.java:76)
at edu.cmu.cs.stage3.scheduler.AbstractScheduler.run( AbstractScheduler.java:45)
at java.awt.event.InvocationEvent.dispatch(Invocation Event.java:189)
at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(EventQueue.java: 478)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForHierar chy(EventDispatchThread.java:234)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarch y(EventDispatchThread.java:184)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarch y(EventDispatchThread.java:174)
at java.awt.Dialog$1.run(Dialog.java:540)
at java.awt.Dialog.show(Dialog.java:561)
at java.awt.Component.show(Component.java:1133)
at java.awt.Component.setVisible(Component.java:1088)
at edu.cmu.cs.stage3.swing.DialogManager.showModalDia log(DialogManager.java:58)
at edu.cmu.cs.stage3.swing.DialogManager.showDialog(D ialogManager.java:123)
at edu.cmu.cs.stage3.alice.authoringtool.AuthoringToo l.play(AuthoringTool.java:5087)
at edu.cmu.cs.stage3.alice.authoringtool.Actions$15.a ctionPerformed(Actions.java:167)
at javax.swing.AbstractButton.fireActionPerformed(Abs tractButton.java:1819)
at javax.swing.AbstractButton$ForwardActionEvents.act ionPerformed(AbstractButton.java:1872)
at javax.swing.DefaultButtonModel.fireActionPerformed (DefaultButtonModel.java:420)
at javax.swing.DefaultButtonModel.setPressed(DefaultB uttonModel.java:258)
at javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicButtonListener.mouseRe leased(BasicButtonListener.java:247)
at java.awt.AWTEventMulticaster.mouseReleased(AWTEven tMulticaster.java:231)
at java.awt.Component.processMouseEvent(Component.jav a:5166)
at java.awt.Component.processEvent(Component.java:496 3)
at java.awt.Container.processEvent(Container.java:161 3)
at java.awt.Component.dispatchEventImpl(Component.jav a:3681)
at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Container.jav a:1671)
at java.awt.Component.dispatchEvent(Component.java:35 43)
at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.retargetMouseEvent( Container.java:3527)
at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.processMouseEvent(C ontainer.java:3242)
at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.dispatchEvent(Conta iner.java:3172)
at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Container.jav a:1657)
at java.awt.Window.dispatchEventImpl(Window.java:1606 )
at java.awt.Component.dispatchEvent(Component.java:35 43)
at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(EventQueue.java: 480)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForHierar chy(EventDispatchThread.java:234)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarch y(EventDispatchThread.java:184)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispa tchThread.java:178)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispa tchThread.java:170)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(EventDispatchThre ad.java:100)

What could possibly be wrong?

Thanks for any help
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 16.jpg (10.2 KB, 254 views)

Old
Mr Nemo

Default 10-13-2006, 10:13 PM

You don't happen to have a predefined method with <None> as it's target would you? That's what usually causes that error for me.

Old
bonecandy

Default 10-13-2006, 10:41 PM

Well, I'm trying check all my gazillion methods right now, but I get so many drag and drop errors sometimes too... but thanks for the tip, I'll see if that does anything. If anyone else has any ideas, please chime in

Old
gabe
Administrator

Default 10-13-2006, 10:48 PM

Could you attach your world for us to help troubleshoot?

A possibility
Old
DrJim

Red face A possibility - 10-13-2006, 11:18 PM

I may just be sensitive to this because I tried to import a 16M object file (I overdid the subdivisions a bit on the mesh a bit and wasn't really watching the resulting file size) this afternoon and it made Alice behave strangely until I completely stopped and rebooted the computer. I didn't get anything from Alice except "a problem was encountered displaying this object" and a "try again" or "quit" option - I should have quit before I did.

But anyway, what struck me was the large size of your texture files at nearly 27M. I went back and checked some old worlds and this is at least 5X what I've ever had. I've also had problems running worlds with one of the large environments from the gallery and with four or five objects - just don't think Alice can keep up, at least on my hardware - though the problem doesn't seem to be obviously hardware dependent.

Maybe you already know, but I'd check where the large texture number is coming from and/or delete things like any large environments. Another possibility is that you are using an uncompressed texture file that was generate with a high resolution - this can give problems and is not something you think of right away, since once you're in Alice, the details of the textures are pretty well hidden. (You can also have problems with large sound files, though that doesn't sound like the problem you're having.)

Good Luck.

Jim

Old
bonecandy

Default 10-13-2006, 11:45 PM

Well it would appear you were correct DrJim. As soon as I started deleting objects it ran better. I did import a large picture file that I made in photoshop too. But it's only about 350kb, so I figure it shouldn't make too large a difference (it also adds a lot of pizzazz ). After deleting some objects and redundant methods and events, it runs again. I did, however, notice that even after I continued to delete more objects from the world, it had a very small impact on the texture sizes. So there's probably some obscure object I have in there that's making the texture sizes balloon so much.
Anyway,
The statistics are now:
object count: 803; down from 864
face count: 67,496; down from 72,907
texture memory: 24.5; down from 26.6

I think the world is rather large to upload; it's about 20mb. But I can upload if you guys want. So it would appear Alice has a lot of trouble running large worlds... hopefully this'll get fixed in the future patches.
It's strange though. I've had an Alice world that was over 34mb before and it never exhibited these problems.

Thanks for your help