Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > Alice 2 > How do I...?

Old
oll

Default 04-07-2015, 02:22 PM

i took a look at it, and it's all readable to me until the actual movement, why do you have it move forwards a distance of y cord/9.5 meters? what's the 9.5? same with the x cord, where did you get the 9.3? sorry if these are silly questions, but i don't see where you got these numbers, and what significance they have.

Old
RavenOfCode

Default 04-07-2015, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oll View Post
i took a look at it, and it's all readable to me until the actual movement, why do you have it move forwards a distance of y cord/9.5 meters? what's the 9.5? same with the x cord, where did you get the 9.3? sorry if these are silly questions, but i don't see where you got these numbers, and what significance they have.
Thats fine, the point is i have to move the target to the x and y cords, because of the orientation of 0,0, it requires you move it back and left (i think), and the reason we divide it is because we are dealing with pixels which are very small,
and the screens width, at the ground, is only say 50 meters across. So we divide it by a number to account for the size of the screen in meters at ground level, 9.5 and 9.3 are just numbers that worked nothing special about them.

Is this to confusing? I tried to make it as simple as i could, but if it is ill try to make it simpler.

Also does it work exactly? It does on mine im just wondering if different screen sizes work differently.

Best,
RavenOfCode

Stuff + Other Stuff + Different Other Stuff = Things :)

My best Alice game:

Clash of the Cubes (an arena fighting game):
http://www.alice.org/community/showthread.php?t=10738&highlight=game

Last edited by RavenOfCode; 04-07-2015 at 04:42 PM.

Hmmm--
Old
MrMoke

Default Hmmm-- - 04-07-2015, 05:58 PM

I assume from your conversation that you haven't tried the suggestion that I made. It should only take a few minutes.

FWIW- Alice is a 3D programming environment, so the distance from the top or left side of the run pane is, for the most part, irrelevant. Each object has a unique set of properties including x, y, and z coordinates that can change at any time.

Last edited by MrMoke; 04-07-2015 at 06:12 PM.

Old
RavenOfCode

Default 04-07-2015, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMoke View Post
I assume from your conversation that you haven't tried the suggestion that I made. It should only take a few minutes.
That was the point of the squares in a grid, as clicking on the ground will bring it to the center of the ground every time no matter where you click.

My best Alice game:

Old
MrMoke

Default 04-08-2015, 12:22 PM

Not if the clicked method affects only those objects from a selected list or array. Assuming that the target objects can move around, a grid of cubes might not work because they would cover the other objects and prohibit access.

BTW- When you start your demo world, move the mouse to the bottom right corner of the display until the pointer changes, click and drag, to make it bigger, and test.

Your ball never goes to the exact position of the mouse click on my machine. There are times where invisible objects are necessary, but I'm not sure this is one of them.

Last edited by MrMoke; 04-09-2015 at 08:28 AM.

Old
RavenOfCode

Default 04-08-2015, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Not if the clicked method affects only those objects from a selected list. Assuming that the target objects can move around, a grid of cubes might not work.

BTW- When you start your demo world, move the mouse to the bottom right corner of the display until the pointer changes, click and drag, to make it bigger, and test.

Your ball never goes to the exact position of the mouse click on my machine. There are times where invisible objects are necessary, but I'm not sure this is one of them.
Oh shoot! Thats a big issue, I did that and it never worked right... maybe I should add a way to set the window to the correct size...

Thanks for pointing that out.

Do you know any script to make it set the window a certain size?

My best Alice game:

Nope
Old
MrMoke

Default Nope - 04-08-2015, 02:24 PM

Changing it on your machine won't change it on all others.

Old
RavenOfCode

Default 04-08-2015, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Changing it on your machine won't change it on all others.
Ok, but is there any script to do that?

My best Alice game:

Old
MrMoke

Default 04-08-2015, 05:58 PM

No

Old
azgrimm

Default 06-23-2015, 08:47 PM

You could probably make a game similar to final fantasy tactics using a grid of cube objects placed on the map.

Your biggest issue with making a starcraft type rts is that Alice doesn't seem to have a way of selecting multiple units i.e. mouse drag, so you would have to move troops 1 at a time.

Tags
alice2, question, rts