Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > Alice 2 > Works-In-Progress

Mouse hovering over object
Old
cardsfan527

Cool Mouse hovering over object - 01-09-2010, 08:47 PM

I am getting close to a breakthrough for an engine that will test if the mouse is hovering over an object without the need to click. As for right now, it is just an engine to make an obect follow your mouse. To make it work, simply click the very bottom left hand corner of the viewing area.

From here I just need a continuous method that checks to see if the sphere that follows the mouse is within a certain distance above, below, left and right of the other sphere.
Attached Files
File Type: a2w hover2.a2w (244.8 KB, 58 views)

Old
x2495iiii
Super Moderator

Default 01-09-2010, 09:53 PM

Again, I'm fascinated. I've seen very few attempts at making an object follow the cursor, and this is by far the best.

I know a lot about Alice, but here you've taught me THREE new things over the course of a few days! I mean it when I say I'm excited to see what other things you come up with.

(Makes me want to try and make something interesting and innovative with Alice...)

(')>

Old
cardsfan527

Smile 01-10-2010, 08:56 AM

Again, thanks x2495iiii. I love getting feedback on my worlds, especially good feedback. Now, I was wondering if you had any advice on how to test if the mouse sphere is over the other sphere (maybe from RP aiming system)

Old
dubastot

Default 01-10-2010, 09:58 AM

I have already done one thing though. Detect if the mouse is over a certain object. You can find it in my latest version of my rts game, 1 will Survive

Old
x2495iiii
Super Moderator

Default 01-10-2010, 10:02 AM

You may be on to something. If you made, say, 4 cones just behind the four corners of the camera constrain to face the sphere that moves with the mouse, then used my system of using the cones' difference of perspective, you might be able to gauge whether the object is on a linear path from the camera to the sphere, meaning the cursor is hovering over it.

(')>

Old
x2495iiii
Super Moderator

Default 01-10-2010, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubastot View Post
I have already done one thing though. Detect if the mouse is over a certain object. You can find it in my latest version of my rts game, 1 will Survive
I rememeber, that's the RTS game. Did you mean the pictures? Pictures don't move, so it's not the same. Stationary objects have the same pixel coordinates and dimensions as long as the world runs, so they're fairly easy to make recognizable by the cursor

(')>

Last edited by x2495iiii; 01-10-2010 at 01:36 PM.

Old
cardsfan527

Unhappy 01-10-2010, 10:59 AM

I get what you are saying x2495iiii, and it sounded like it should work, but for some reason I am having a little trouble executing it. Could you possibly show me an example?

Old
cardsfan527

Lightbulb 01-11-2010, 06:48 PM

I'm sorry, but x2495iiii, do you think you could make an example of your aiming system mixed with my object follow cursor?

Old
x2495iiii
Super Moderator

Default 01-11-2010, 08:34 PM

Oh yeah, sorry I meant to post here and say I was working on it. I am, so don't worry.

(')>

Old
cardsfan527

Default 01-12-2010, 05:35 AM

Cool. Thanks.