Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > Alice 2 > How do I...?

How do I control dialogue between characters with the press of a button.
Old
owensd

Angry How do I control dialogue between characters with the press of a button. - 11-19-2012, 11:14 PM

I want a character to say something using the say method and then a speech bubble appears forever until when the user is ready. Then the user presses "A" and then the speech bubble disappears and then the character continues with the next say command. I just can't figure out how to control dialogue with a button instead of speech bubbles lasting certain durations and having to wait or having to read fast. I've tried making the duration for a say method a certain variable but after the speech bubble has appeared the duration will not change.
Please help.

KeepTalking
Old
djslater107
Administrator

Default KeepTalking - 11-20-2012, 06:35 AM

See the attached world...

The key is creating the "keepTalking" variable in the world Properties panel. It is a boolean variable with an initial value of true...

The keypress event sets the value of the variable to false, and the knight quits talking...
Attached Files
File Type: a2w keepTalking....a2w (819.9 KB, 9 views)

Don Slater
Alice Team
Carnegie Mellon University

Old
madison1

Default 11-20-2012, 09:04 PM

When I put dialog in my final project last spring, I used the speech bubbles, but adjusted the duration for each to be more appropriate for how long the line of dialog was.

Tags
conversation, dialogue, game, speech, text