Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > General Discussion > The Lounge

First assignment with Alice
Old
ChrisDavidson

Default First assignment with Alice - 07-09-2013, 03:32 PM

Just finished my first assignment in Alice 2.3.3. It was actually pretty interesting and I toyed around with it for a good while. The only thing I noticed was the lack of the "take a picture" button in the version we downloaded. I noticed in the notes that in the 3.1 version it was put back. Assuming it wasn't meant to be removed. Going to assume that we likely won't be needing it during the course.

You may want to look again.
Old
keithtaylor

Default You may want to look again. - 07-09-2013, 08:40 PM

I just downloaded the 2.3 from alice.org and in the preview screen it had the take a picture button. If still not there try downloading from the web site.

Old
bob3584

Default 07-10-2013, 12:23 AM

You downloaded the new version that they just released.

My avatar will always be a preview of what I am currently working on.

Old
JasonEllis

Default 07-10-2013, 08:57 AM

I figured I'd jump in on your thread instead of starting a new one. This is my first time using Alice and she's enjoyable to use. I poked around a little bit and am fascinated by how simple, or powerful, the IDE appears to be depending on how deep you go. It was easy to use and understand exactly what is happening.

I think this will be a really good tool for learning object-oriented programming. The interface really helps you see how everything fits together. I can't wait to start using it for more complex projects!

I also had the same issue with a lack of "Take a picture" button. I am using 2.3.3.

While I was waiting to be approved to post on these forums, I went ahead and completed Assignment 2. I chose PP1.2, the combination lock that runs through the combination and then opens. This was fun to do. I started off with the combo lock facing away from the camera and then turned to face the camera before the combination started.

I really wanted to continue adding more methods (like play sound of a lock opening), and perhaps some objects to the background to run Do together, but I kept it simple.

Alice Experience
Old
smccray

Default Alice Experience - 07-10-2013, 10:59 PM

Alice was fun to use! I'm excited to see what's next! Also, curious to see the connection between this software and actual programming. I believe it's ingenious, just can't wait to realize what's what in what we are doing.