Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > General Discussion > Questions and Comments

Error Messages and Nonworking Worlds
Old
MichaelRobinson

Exclamation Error Messages and Nonworking Worlds - 01-22-2009, 02:34 PM

Being a new programmer, I am very uneducated on the various elements of Alice. I have recently encountered several error messages on one world and don't know what to do. I need all the help I can get so I can finish my Tech Class final project before the deadline. HELP PLEASE!!?!

I will check for replies but you may also e-mail me at drummerdudemike@gmail.com.

Old
madden

Default 01-22-2009, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelRobinson View Post
Being a new programmer, I am very uneducated on the various elements of Alice. I have recently encountered several error messages on one world and don't know what to do. I need all the help I can get so I can finish my Tech Class final project before the deadline. HELP PLEASE!!?!

I will check for replies but you may also e-mail me at drummerdudemike@gmail.com.
Try looking opening the folder "Backups of (Project name)" and open up those files. Start with the most resent and work your way down until you find the one that doesn't have an error message. This has happened to me before too, and after I did this it was fine.

Check out my new website - http://www.freewebs.com/maddenuser/

Special thanks to the people who are supporting me...
Drjim, rich0e0rick, Chris101b, ZED, jediaction, x2495iiii, ("Robby"), gabe, JustasM, and Shadow Sovereign.

Games...

CSS - a sidescroler/adventure game.
CASE 1.01 - a escape the room/adventure game.
In the Black and White - a shooter/adventure game.
Field Of Wonder - a adventure game
C.R.E.S - a action/adventure game.

Can you eat 10 cookies in 5 seconds?
I did.

Thanks but no thanks
Old
MichaelRobinson

Default Thanks but no thanks - 01-23-2009, 08:11 AM

I was hopeing that there might be a way to help me understand the error report better so I can fix the error instead of loseing some of my work.

Remember to save often!

I fixed my program!!
Old
MichaelRobinson

Smile I fixed my program!! - 01-23-2009, 08:13 AM

My friend that i am working on this project with figured out the issue... Just so you all know...

Old
DrJim

Default 01-23-2009, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelRobinson View Post
I was hopeing that there might be a way to help me understand the error report better so I can fix the error instead of loseing some of my work.
The Alice error messages range from helpful to impossible to understand. In addition, they are often just warnings and can be ignored.

The latter group are those that simply refer to the part of the code that caused the error - which isn't really helpful unless you want to dig through the source coe. I assume these were put there for the initial debug of the code.

My recommendation is to always take a look at the whole message - sometimes it will be fairly clear, such as an illegal name or unsupported format - but if not, I would go to Madden approach to try to find the problem rather than trying to figure the error message out. A few of the more common error messages are much clearer in Alice 2.2, so you might also try running the world with it.

Old
MichaelRobinson

Default 01-25-2009, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJim View Post
The Alice error messages range from helpful to impossible to understand. In addition, they are often just warnings and can be ignored.

The latter group are those that simply refer to the part of the code that caused the error - which isn't really helpful unless you want to dig through the source coe. I assume these were put there for the initial debug of the code.

My recommendation is to always take a look at the whole message - sometimes it will be fairly clear, such as an illegal name or unsupported format - but if not, I would go to Madden approach to try to find the problem rather than trying to figure the error message out. A few of the more common error messages are much clearer in Alice 2.2, so you might also try running the world with it.
Thanks Dr Jim! I have tryed to understand some error messages. I can sort of pick out words that make sense to why there is an error. Some messages - like you said - are impossible. Recently, I have not received any error messages in my program. I am one of the top kids in my High school tech class and i am trying to help others who have problems - mainly error messages, so i am trying to educate myself on how i might fix some of their problems.

Another thing about error messages...
Old
MichaelRobinson

Question Another thing about error messages... - 01-26-2009, 08:14 AM

Do error messages take up memory on an alice world? Because we had some issues on our alice world and we noticed that our world was 12 mb. We fixed the error and then the world was only 5 mb.