Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > General Discussion > The Lounge

Methods
Old
keithtaylor

Default Methods - 07-11-2013, 11:01 PM

Ok, so my 3rd assignment required a small thought process. The direction were good, but I read them too fast, and at first created a method called "step and fall" lol. I'm so glad that I went back and read them again. Once again, I had some fun with this, and even had my 7 year old daughter come and watch as I put things together and got the zombie to walk across the dessert. I can see how some would have a problem with putting everything together and make it work. Small spoiler, remember something has to travel twice the distance to get from behind to in front.

Old
JasonEllis

Default 07-14-2013, 03:07 PM

I thought this project was way harder than the others. I don't know if I'm just overthinking it or what.

How do others make a walking animation? I opened up the "Add Object" and created poses for the characters. This worked, but it's really hard to get the movement and rotation of limbs working how you'd like. Then I just called set pose for a left step and right step, added those to a method called "step" and I had him walking.

Old
mf1782

Default 07-14-2013, 05:16 PM

I too that it was a challenging lesson and I DO also continue to sit here and wonder if I'm over thinking things. I think it's the downside to not going in to class to have a brief overview coupled with the java errors.
That's awesome that you made the mummy walk! I spent all day just trying to get what I needed done and that didn't even include the mummy's legs moving.

Old
jnawrocki

Default 07-15-2013, 04:58 PM

Great solution to walking--using poses. Some characters have a built-in walk method. They are found in: Local Gallery, People folder.

Old
JasonEllis

Default 07-15-2013, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnawrocki View Post
Great solution to walking--using poses. Some characters have a built-in walk method. They are found in: Local Gallery, People folder.
Man, had I known that I would have copied the method from one of those people. I now see the Walking People folder in the local gallery. Thank you so much for the heads up, this will come in handy!

Old
ChrisDavidson

Default 07-16-2013, 01:33 AM

Wow I really wish I had known this. Lesson learned.

Haha
Old
keithtaylor

Wink Haha - 07-18-2013, 01:06 PM

I also saw all the walking people, but I chose to try it on my own, here is what I did:

mummy.leftleg turn backward .05 revolutions

do together
mummy move forward .5 meters
mummy.leftleg turn forward .1 revolutions
mummy.rightleg turn backward .02 revolutions

do together
mummy move forward .25 meters
mummy.rightleg turn .02 revolutions

That made one full step from left leg to right.
I did this way so that I could do it without the automated step, and so that I could make the mummy look more natural, cause they don't move at regular speed, and they don't walk the same on both legs.

Chapter 2 = short... too short
Old
rlpenn

Default Chapter 2 = short... too short - 09-14-2013, 09:41 PM

I thought this was difficult as well. It seemed like the book went full speed ahead and said to us on many occasions, "oh yeah, remember we did that it chapter 1?" No, we didn't do that in chapter 1. And you're not even explaining it very well now! You quickly glossed over it in terms that only someone who's written this book would understand!!

I thought the frog, cheerleader and jet exercises were very difficult without much direction. Then I found myself over-thinking the mummy exercise -- thinking I needed to add all of these variables, parameters and poses... nope... it was pretty much normal stuff.

method for the mummy
Old
NathanH

Default method for the mummy - 09-14-2013, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithtaylor View Post
I also saw all the walking people, but I chose to try it on my own, here is what I did:

do together
mummy move forward .5 meters
mummy.leftleg turn forward .1 revolutions
mummy.rightleg turn backward .02 revolutions

do together
mummy move forward .25 meters
mummy.rightleg turn .02 revolutions

That made one full step from left leg to right.
I did this way so that I could do it without the automated step, and so that I could make the mummy look more natural, cause they don't move at regular speed, and they don't walk the same on both legs.
Funny: I ended up writing almost the exact same script for my mummy! I had a good laugh when I saw that I'd accidently made the legs walk off on their own Mine ended up just dragging the right leg, but that's a clever idea you had there, making the legs move with different strides.

Old
rmdurden

Default 09-15-2013, 02:25 AM

I initially had some issues with getting the mummy to walk, as well, but since mummies don't move all that naturally to begin with, I settled for a kind of stiff-legged walk. It looked alright in the end.