Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > Alice 2 > Works-In-Progress

Old
x2495iiii
Super Moderator

Default 08-10-2010, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jediaction View Post
No. I never not press two at the same time. If i press another one just a split second after another key. It will mess up.
Not anymore.

Great
Old
arty-fishL

Thumbs up Great - 08-10-2010, 06:29 PM

I like the new version. The new weapon is cool, but I did find myself running (driving?) away a lot as I was reloading, also I did press space, but there is no need in that its fine as it is. It does have some acuracy errors, since I had to fire it several times to hit sometimes (and I was on target each time). It would be good if there was a way to switch between the weapons other than modifying the weapons variable. Also I dont know why you are complaining about the treds jedi, it has tracks to move, so therefore they dont have to change direction when switching up, down or left, right. Good work, plus I like all of the textures , except the loading screen cos it messes up my eyes.

█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
█░░▓░░░░░░░▓░░░░░░░░░░░▓▓░░▓░░░░░░▓░░░▓░░░░█
█░▓░▓░▓▓▓░▓▓▓░▓░▓░░░░░░▓▒▒░░▒░░▓▓░▓▓▓░▓▒░░░█
█░▓▓▓▒▓▒▒▒░▓▒▒▓▓▓▒▓▓▓░▓▓▓░░▓░░░▓▒▒▓▒▓▒▓▒░░░█
█░▓▒▓▒▓▒░░░▓▓░░▒▓▒░▒▒▒░▓▒▒░▓▓░▓▓▒░▓▒▓▒▓▒░░░█
█░▓▒▓▒░▒░░░░▒▒▓▓▓▒░░░░▓▓▒░░░▒▒░▒▒░░▒░▒▓▓▓░░█
█░░▒░▒░░░░░░░░░▒▒▒░░░░░▒▒░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▒▒▒░█
█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█

I have mostly moved on from Alice, but may still respond to messages if important [¬º-°]¬

Old
x2495iiii
Super Moderator

Default 08-10-2010, 07:39 PM

Yeah I was thinking about a different loading screen, just I'm not sure what to make yet.

+Rosethorn accuracy is fixed now thanks to a cool mathy formula I thought up when I was half-asleep. Works like a charm and pierces like it should. Cool stuff.

+Auto reload installed and working. When ammo reaches zero, the current weapon will reload. My next task here is to add a clip system to limit the total amount of ammo available to the player.

+A few reload bugs fixed. Primarily had to do with auto-reload not triggering and, for some reason, preventing manual reload as well. Not sure how, but I fixed it.

+Adding a new weapon: the shardsplitter. Pretty much a shotgun, but with a cool name. Will destroy tanks in one shot at point blank range, but weakens with distance.

But the coolest part is definitely

+Found out a VERY useful tidbit about Alice: functions with parameters can be run simultaneously with different parameters for different if/else statements and return accurate results untainted by errors. This means that, instead of lots of huge if/else conditions in each bullet's method, they can each call the same function, pass different parameters, and get the desired results at the same time.

In other words, collision detection just got a whole lot easier. Already integrated it into the world for the beam and bullet collisions and works like a charm.

I'll post today's work when I'm finished with the shardsplitter and a few other things. Right now it causes tanks to die twice in a row, then respawn randomly.

Old
Dameria

Default 08-10-2010, 07:43 PM

But I've been using parameters for my collision detection for a while now instead of huge if/else statements. What have you just figured out that is different from what I have done?

Also, are you still working on RP4? I really want to see the finished product with all of the classes done.

Check out my best projects so far and please comment:

Tic-Tac-Toe 2.0 ................... http://www.alice.org/community/showthread.php?t=3548
Alice Paint ........................... http://www.alice.org/community/showthread.php?p=23408
Real-Time Clock .................. http://www.alice.org/community/showthread.php?p=12725
Maze Game ......................... http://www.alice.org/community/showthread.php?t=4301

Nice!
Old
debussybunny563

Talking Nice! - 08-10-2010, 07:49 PM

Very good game! Plays smooth, and some bugs that were in the first version were fixed (the enemy tank would sometimes resize a bit when it came towards you).

Quote:
It would be good if there was a way to switch between the weapons other than modifying the weapons variable.
Is it possible to get a different weapon? I looked at the variable, and what would the other weapon's name be?

Quote:
it has tracks to move, so therefore they dont have to change direction when switching up, down or left, right.
To settle this 'tread' issue, tanks can't move from side to side. To move right or left, one tread has to rotate faster than the other to make it turn, and then it goes on its new course.
So, the turret can rotate, but the body part of the tank shouldn't.
However, this makes for a really weird control scheme, and I like the way X has made it for this game.

Quote:
No. I never not press two at the same time.
If I want to go diagonal, I ALWAYS press two keys at the same time. lol
If anything weird happened, it seems to be gone now.
If I press two to move diagonal, the tread goes diagonal, so... fixed!

Some things:
The calibration isn't perfect, but pressing 0 works that out.
However, the crosshair still isn't where my mouse is. It's lined up on the line of fire (draw a line from the sleight to the crosshair) so you can still aim accurately, but I just think it'd be nice if you could make the crosshair right on the mouse.

Pressing R to reload is kind of weird because as soon as you fire, you have to reload, and you can't fire more than one shot in a row. Maybe you could have

Oh wait. Never mind! Wow, I need to look closer. Just realized that renaming the variable SWAG will bring back the weapon found in the first version.
However, the reload feature is still kind of ludicrous for the rosethorn, as it is single shot.

Quote:
Very proud of the texture. Looks great and didn't take too long.
Yeah, and I also like the crosshair. It's really nice how you have multiple textures for it when you can fire or can't (like how it blinks red when you need to reload).

As for collision detection, yes, it's a bit touchy, but it'll be fixed.
I like the explosion, plus how one tank splits in half when destroyed.

EDIT: Ahh, this post took me too long to write. It should have gone before Dameria's and X's last posts, so I didn't get to read what they said before posting. Sorry!

Old
x2495iiii
Super Moderator

Default 08-10-2010, 07:53 PM

it's not just parameters, it's running the same calculation with different variables at the same time using only one function instead of one for each query or one at a time.

So, say you have a laserbeam and it, when fired, has to calculate whether enemies are in it's path. Now, typically I'd use two if/else statements (one for each enemy) in a do together method, with each if/else if calculating whether or not it's respective enemy is in the path of the laser. Now, instead of the if/else if making that calculation, I can call a custom function with the calculation built into it and parameters for the relevant objects (namely the enemy in question). Not only that, but I can call that same function twice (or more times) at once with different parameters in each call and get the proper results for both calls. Instead of a method that has to be run one at a time or an inflexible if/else if which must be made one by one to account for each condition and each enemy, one all-encompassing function can be used to do the same thing in a quicker and more compact way.

And if you already knew this, apologies. I assumed it wouldn't work, since most of the good stuff in Alice has bugs in it. I just figured I'd try it for the Rosethorn's collision method and it worked beautifully.

And yes, I'm still going to finish RP4. I'm just very interested in this project right now, for some reason.

Old
Dameria

Default 08-10-2010, 09:07 PM

Well what I have been doing this whole time is putting every object that is being calculated for collision into a single list, and I have one method with the list as the parameter, so that one method with only 1 if/else statement runs the collision for everyone in the list instead of having multiple methods and/or if/else statements.

If thats not what you mean, then I don't quite understand it still, sorry. Look at my collision method in my maze and tell me how you would implement your collision into that.

Check out my best projects so far and please comment:

Tic-Tac-Toe 2.0 ................... http://www.alice.org/community/showthread.php?t=3548
Alice Paint ........................... http://www.alice.org/community/showthread.php?p=23408
Real-Time Clock .................. http://www.alice.org/community/showthread.php?p=12725
Maze Game ......................... http://www.alice.org/community/showthread.php?t=4301

Old
jediaction

Default 08-11-2010, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by x2495iiii View Post
Not anymore.
Great. I'll try it

FaceBook: www.facebook.com/SalokinGames

Old
x2495iiii
Super Moderator

Default 08-11-2010, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by debussybunny563 View Post
Very good game! Plays smooth, and some bugs that were in the first version were fixed (the enemy tank would sometimes resize a bit when it came towards you).
Yeah, that was a weird bug, and it seemed to happen when I told the tank to turn to face the player. Fortunately, "point at" is fine.

Is it possible to get a different weapon? I looked at the variable, and what would the other weapon's name be? Yup, SWAG and Rosethorn are the values you need.

To settle this 'tread' issue, tanks can't move from side to side. To move right or left, one tread has to rotate faster than the other to make it turn, and then it goes on its new course.
So, the turret can rotate, but the body part of the tank shouldn't.
However, this makes for a really weird control scheme, and I like the way X has made it for this game.
Thanks

If I want to go diagonal, I ALWAYS press two keys at the same time. lol
If anything weird happened, it seems to be gone now.
If I press two to move diagonal, the tread goes diagonal, so... fixed!
Yay!

Some things:
The calibration isn't perfect, but pressing 0 works that out.
However, the crosshair still isn't where my mouse is. It's lined up on the line of fire (draw a line from the sleight to the crosshair) so you can still aim accurately, but I just think it'd be nice if you could make the crosshair right on the mouse. I was thinking about a way to do that, but I don't have high hopes. Apparently it can have a different starting position relative to your mouse every time you play it, as I recently had the same thing that happened to arty happen to me, where it was being weird at first, but then followed my mouse perfectly. I'll fool around with it but no promises.

Pressing R to reload is kind of weird because as soon as you fire, you have to reload, and you can't fire more than one shot in a row. Maybe you could have

Oh wait. Never mind! Wow, I need to look closer. Just realized that renaming the variable SWAG will bring back the weapon found in the first version.
However, the reload feature is still kind of ludicrous for the rosethorn, as it is single shot.
There's a nearly identical weapon in Alien Swarm called the Rail Gun that shoots magnetized pieces of metal at immense speeds and pierces enemies, but the weapon can only hold one rail at a time, so you have to reload it every time you fire. You're not supposed to use it for general combat, mostly as a way to cause high piercing damage to a specific target, like a large shielded enemy (also in Alien Swarm). I plan to add a feature to let you buy/unlock/choose the ability to reload faster as well, so it's not ludicrous, it's by design.

Yeah, and I also like the crosshair. It's really nice how you have multiple textures for it when you can fire or can't (like how it blinks red when you need to reload). Thanks.

As for collision detection, yes, it's a bit touchy, but it'll be fixed.
I like the explosion, plus how one tank splits in half when destroyed. Thanks again.

EDIT: Ahh, this post took me too long to write. It should have gone before Dameria's and X's last posts, so I didn't get to read what they said before posting. Sorry!
Responses in bold. Thanks for the feedback. And Dameria, my guess is your collision detection system would completely outdo simultaneous functions for one character colliding with walls and objects, but I was looking for a way to get a speedy and compact collision detection for a list of several objects against another list of objects, like bullets against enemies. That's what this does. If you have a way I could further improve it, let me know. Thanks.

Old
rockstar442

Default 08-11-2010, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by x2495iiii View Post
Like I said, weird bugs and not a full game...yet. I was going to tinker with it some more. Thanks for the positive feedback though arty.

Anyone actually tried Alien Swarm yet? Anyone here even heard of Steam?
i heard about it right now good thing i came back to this site lol