Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > General Discussion > The Lounge

What about Panda3D
Old
DickBaldwin

Default What about Panda3D - 09-10-2007, 04:11 PM

I just became aware of the existence of Panda3D, which apparently makes it possible to create 3D games, graphics, etc., using either C++ or Python.

I would like to hear what others think about the Panda3D package.

Thanks in advance,
Dick Baldwin

Old
lanceA

Default 09-10-2007, 06:11 PM

The AP College Board says I have to teach Java in order for the students to receive college credit at some institutions, so while I have been aware of Panda3D it does not enter into the "grand scheme of things . . ".

And while I believe ALICE to be somewhat a mixture of Python/Java, I can change ALICE's IDE to immulate Java syntax. That smoothes the transition into the Java programming language.

lanceA

Old
DickBaldwin

Default 09-10-2007, 07:44 PM

Hi Lance,
The main reason that Panda3D caught my eye is that we have a lot of professors who still believe that the world revolves around C++. At first glance, it looks like it may be possible to use Panda3D to write C++ 3D animation programs that are more interesting than computing and printing amortization tables (which is pretty much the norm in lots of C++ courses).

Old
lanceA

Default 09-10-2007, 08:58 PM

And I agree with you and have no problem with your asking about Panda3D.

Perhaps you might wish to share with other Professors that most weather satelites today are being controlled via Java programs, certain portions of the Florida State Prison system is run from a networked Java program, and Java goes on, and on, etc., etc.

I hear where you are coming from with the C++ though.

Old
DrJim

Default 09-10-2007, 10:54 PM

Some brief impressions in these areas - can't claim a lot of experience with the current tools. First, most of the "graphics" aspects of C, C++ and VB programs are really proceedural calls to OpenGL commands and routines - don't know if this is different at all for C# but I rather doubt it, since OpenGL was pretty much dictated by the Graphics card manufacturers. A heavy graphics emphsis, at least with OpenGL would not seem to be a good focus for teaching OOP.

At least in my opinion, a lot of the confusion about OOP and C++ comes from the fact that a lot of the example code is really "old fashion" C. Using Java solves that problem - which is probably why it was the choice for the AP course.

Panda3D is pretty much a dedicated 3D animation and graphics program like 3DMax and Maya. It was originally a Disney in-house program that Disney eventually released for public. Can't say I've looked at it extensively but it seems to be a very special purpose language - using it to teach general programming principles would be a challenge - sort of like trying to do the same thing using Photoshop. (If you can figure out how, it would be great, however.) In the case of Panda 3D, it's also old enough that my guess is it is heavily proceedural.

Old
Rake

Default 03-02-2008, 04:56 PM

my friend uses Panda. he reccommeds it highly, even though i dont know what he sees in it its outdated in my humble opinion. cant claim myself an expert though- so decide for yourself.
Rake the Java Pigeon,
http://www.pigeons.biz

Anyone teaching with Python?
Old
Rick Prins

Default Anyone teaching with Python? - 03-13-2008, 09:29 PM

What are the benefits with Python? (as compared to Java).

Old
ulrich200

Default 06-12-2008, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Prins View Post
What are the benefits with Python? (as compared to Java).
well i have no experiance with java but from what i've heard python is a good start if you're new to programing.

also i don't know if anyone here has heard of pirates of the caribbean online but it was written with python and panda3d

Old
DickBaldwin

Default 06-13-2008, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulrich200 View Post
well i have no experiance with java but from what i've heard python is a good start if you're new to programing.

also i don't know if anyone here has heard of pirates of the caribbean online but it was written with python and panda3d
Python is a scripting language and Java is a programming language.

Python is the primary scripting language for Panda3D. Although it is possible to control Panda3D with C++, apparently it is rarely done, possibly because most of the Panda3D documentation is written from a Python perspective and not a C++ perspective. In fact, some of that documentation specifically recommends against using C++ to control Panda3D.

Dick Baldwin
Free Alice tutorials: http://www.dickbaldwin.com/tocalice.htm
Free Scratch tutorials: http://www.dickbaldwin.com/tocHomeSchool.htm
Free Java/C#, etc. tutorials: http://www.dickbaldwin.com/toc.htm

Last edited by DickBaldwin; 06-13-2008 at 12:39 AM.

Panda3d galleries, can they be used in Alice?
Old
litomd

Default Panda3d galleries, can they be used in Alice? - 08-12-2009, 10:07 AM

There is a large collection of Panda3d models available for download at:

http://www.panda3d.org/download/nove...rt-gallery.zip

But I wonder if they can be used in Alice, are they compatible? Any one knows?