Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > Alice 2 > How do I...?

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Variables
Old
Scott

Default Variables - 09-25-2008, 07:07 PM

Hey,

I am taking Computer Science at school and we are using Alice. Recently I have been working ahead and know a bit more stuff than we have learned. Yet the one thing I do not understand is variables. I read over and over the part where you learn it in the book in the classroom and tried it but couldn't get it to do what I wanted.

Let me say that I am making a game. You are a guy in a Beach Chair and you go around and hit chickens and get 100 points. I have the chair as the guys vehicle and the chair the camera's vehicle so they are all synced. I have 3 chickens in the level so far that go in circles. And as of now The guy goes right through the chickens.

First question I have is how do I make it as when the Chair hits a chicken, the chicken falls and gives you 100 points. I tried for a half hour but couldn't get it to work. I know I need to use the IF thing, and I know what to do, just don't know how to put it down. I want it to be like "If Beach Chair hits chicken, make Chicken Fall". Next part of this question is how do I get this to work when there are more than 1 chicken. There will many many many chickens, like maybe up to 30 or 40. How do I set it to get to hit any chicken for this IF statement to work. Because it lists the chickens as Chicken 1, Chicken 2, and so on. And I don't think making 40 IF statements is necessary.

Next question is how do I get a score system. I know how to get text and position it in the left corner of the screen, but how do I get the score to change up 100 points when you hit a chicken.

I have the file attached and would like to hear back from someone on how to do this. I have only been in this class for 4 weeks. And I do not mind anyone to do what I need to my file and re attach it. I would really really appreciate it if you did because I can learn best seeing it like that.
Attached Files
File Type: a2w 7 Chair Game.a2w (762.0 KB, 59 views)

Tags
car, chicken, guy, problem, variable