4.5 stars 1 9.09%
5.0 stars 7 63.64%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

My first Alice Game
Old
wongwanchap

Default My first Alice Game - 04-20-2009, 12:43 PM

Hello!! Long time no see.

I have joint a Alice Game Competition. And I using a lot of time to make this game. The game is quite large. (Coz there are lots of pics inside)

http://www.sendspace.com/file/4dbd5u

This game is a board game, including some sub game (totally 5)
hope u like it..

This is my first Alice Game, also will be my last Alice game.
I use almost two week to finish this game, but actually it can finish faster.
Some problems make me spend more time on it.
And there is some comment for improve the Alice software:
1.) When I save a world or open a world, it take so long. Loading need long time can be understanding, but actually can improve the saving process, so taking less time.
2.) Sometimes when I finish saving the world (no error msg), then I open the world, a error msg pop up, and say the file can't open. It's very sad thing, I lost all my works. (it happen to me twice) But the luck thing is Alice itself have auto back up. (But I still very angry with it)
3.) Drag and drop concept is quite a good thing. But after I create lots of object, it seems the "drag and drop" become very slow. I could prefer better performance rather than better interface.
4.) It seems the Alice software will slow down, if will open it for a while. But after restart Alice, it seems the speed become normal. (due to the "undo" function?)

This three main problems, make me using a lots of time to finish my game.

Btw, I use a lot of new concept in this program.
And sorry about the Chinese, I make the game in Chinese...(Change it to English will be a huge job)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg logo.jpg (14.8 KB, 230 views)

Last edited by wongwanchap; 01-14-2010 at 08:38 PM. Reason: link expired

Old
DrJim

Default 04-21-2009, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wongwanchap View Post
...also will be my last Alice game.
Definitely a good decision - Alice just isn't capable (nor was it designed to be!) for complexity at that level. I'm surprised that you managed to actually get a world of that size to work (haven't looked at it yet, since it is beyond the capabilities of the laptop I'm working on right now).

One of the difficulties of any 3D graphics program is the memory (and associated memory management software) needed. Alice 2.x is "old" (by computer standards) in that respect - and was designed as a teaching tool anyway.

Hopefully 3.0 will be better - at least in giving an alternative to drag and drop - but it will never be competative (nor, IMO, should it be) with a dedicated game engine.

I am looking forward to seeing your game when I get to better hardware. From the still, it looks like it should be one of the best Alice implementations ever.

Old
wongwanchap

Default 04-22-2009, 03:22 AM

Thanks for comment.

Hope those problem I mention can be solve at Alice 3.0.

Old
wongwanchap

Default 04-22-2009, 04:47 AM

Any other comment will be appreciate. Don't forget to vote. Thanks!!

Old
DrJim

Default 04-22-2009, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wongwanchap View Post
Any other comment will be appreciate. Don't forget to vote. Thanks!!
Rather difficult to figure out the "help" if you don't know Chinese, obviously, so I really can't comment much on gameplay. Certainly very nice graphics, very smooth titles and menu's and overall a nice job.

Also I did already figure out a "cheat" for the couple of programs I did understand. If I get that involved in a game, it definitely has caught my interest.

I did have a bit of trouble trying to unzip the world - actually all that was needed was to change the extension to .a2w. I suspect the .zip extension was just added by the server at the storage site - since .a2w files are actually .zip files with another extension.

Old
madden

Default 04-22-2009, 07:32 PM

(Speechless)
Just... wow.
This was the most amazing thing to ever happen to... like... anything.
I can't even comprehend how you did this, just... wow.
I... I... Amazing job! Just... amazing.
Definitely a 5!
...Just... wow

Check out my new website - http://www.freewebs.com/maddenuser/

Special thanks to the people who are supporting me...
Drjim, rich0e0rick, Chris101b, ZED, jediaction, x2495iiii, ("Robby"), gabe, JustasM, and Shadow Sovereign.

Games...

CSS - a sidescroler/adventure game.
CASE 1.01 - a escape the room/adventure game.
In the Black and White - a shooter/adventure game.
Field Of Wonder - a adventure game
C.R.E.S - a action/adventure game.

Can you eat 10 cookies in 5 seconds?
I did.

Old
wongwanchap

Default 04-22-2009, 11:39 PM

I have upload some translation in the help. I know this doesn't help so much to understand the game (maybe the best way is to let me teach you Chinese ), however the "tiny game" mode doesn't require any understand on Chinese, what you need is just skill. There are totally five games, and one challenge mode (play five games, and sum up all the score). Which game you like most?

* The 3rd pic show you how to play these five games.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ENhelp1.jpg (97.0 KB, 212 views)
File Type: jpg ENhelp2.jpg (100.1 KB, 214 views)
File Type: jpg ENhelp3.jpg (104.9 KB, 214 views)

Old
wongwanchap

Default 04-22-2009, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madden View Post
(Speechless)
Just... wow.
This was the most amazing thing to ever happen to... like... anything.
I can't even comprehend how you did this, just... wow.
I... I... Amazing job! Just... amazing.
Definitely a 5!
...Just... wow
Thanks!

Here I have used some very new concept (seems no one has use before)

U can see my event window has very few events. As I condense all of them to the "firstmethod", the other event is just use for keyboard detect and mouse detect.

And I also find something strange: the computation time in <method> is very high compare to <function>.
eg. if u assign a value (eg. a=10 in <method>, it take almost 0.2s in my com.
but if u assign a value in <function>, it take no almost no time (compare to previous case)

And one more thing need to be careful is when you create a list, never try to set the value of the list (instead to change the element in list, use add and remove or clear), because it only change the pointer of the reference (as list actually is only a reference).

Old
AzN

Default 04-23-2009, 12:09 AM

This could be the best game i have ever seen in my whole career of Alice, NICE JOB!
By the way how did you manage to make such a big File Folder?

Old
wongwanchap

Default 04-23-2009, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzN View Post
This could be the best game i have ever seen in my whole career of Alice, NICE JOB!
By the way how did you manage to make such a big File Folder?
Thanks. After listen your words, I feel it's worth to spend 2 week to make this game.

I don't remember, but I remember I start from making the sub game (the five tiny game) first, each sub game normally cost one day. Then I use most of the time to make the board game, including search for the information and create the graph.....
Finally, I don't have time to debug, I believe there must have some bug. But this is my final product for the competition.