Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > General Discussion > Questions and Comments

How to learn Alice?
Old
steambucky

Default How to learn Alice? - 01-03-2011, 05:49 AM

Hello,

I am an ex industry games artist looking to learning programming. I have tried a few times on various languages but failed - and then found Alice, and from the videos it looks right for me.

I am a mac user running Leopard - Which Alice should I use?

2.0, 2.2 or 3?

Are the tutorials built into the program?

Which book, learning materials do you recommend?

Thanks in advance,

Steam Bucky

This is my very old folio here :
http://web.mac.com/marc_buckingham/i...o/Welcome.html

Last edited by steambucky; 01-03-2011 at 05:59 AM.

Old
CodyAM1993

Default 01-03-2011, 02:17 PM

I would recommend Alice 2.2 for two main reasons. One, because Alice 3.0 is still in beta testing, and two, because Alice 2.2 is very user friendly as is Alice 2.0, however, Alice 2.2 has much more features. You can download a version of Alice 2.2 with the tutorials from the Alice.org website. I would recommend the book Learning to Program with Alice by Wanda Dann because it's very simply understood. It includes many projects that will help you learn to use most of the basic features of Alice. Take advantage of these forums when your learning Alice though. Some of the techniques used to create the practice projects in this book can be done a much simpler way. Good luck.

Old
steambucky

Smile 01-03-2011, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodyAM1993 View Post
I would recommend Alice 2.2 for two main reasons. One, because Alice 3.0 is still in beta testing, and two, because Alice 2.2 is very user friendly as is Alice 2.0, however, Alice 2.2 has much more features. You can download a version of Alice 2.2 with the tutorials from the Alice.org website. I would recommend the book Learning to Program with Alice by Wanda Dann because it's very simply understood. It includes many projects that will help you learn to use most of the basic features of Alice. Take advantage of these forums when your learning Alice though. Some of the techniques used to create the practice projects in this book can be done a much simpler way. Good luck.
Thanks for your help.