Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > Alice 2 > Bugs and Troubleshooting

Alice 2.2, Tutorial 1, Step 31
Old
Operator

Default Alice 2.2, Tutorial 1, Step 31 - 03-23-2010, 08:21 AM

Everything seems fine in Alice 2.2, tutorial 1 (ice skater), through step 30. Step 30 is where you rearrange the steps and cause the spin to happen at the end.
After the ice skater animation stops, I close the animation window and click Next.
It briefly pops up an instructional note telling me to do something, but then that disappears before I can do anything.
Then I get a note which says, "The Alice tutorial thinks maybe you didn't follow the instructions carefully. Please back up to your mistake or restart."
I am running Alice 2.2 on Mac OS X 10.5.8.
Thanks!

Old
x2495iiii
Super Moderator

Default 03-23-2010, 05:00 PM

Some copies of Alice have incomplete or flawed tutorials. See the Tutorial Faq Sticky here for more help:

http://www.alice.org/community/showthread.php?t=3998

(')>

Old
Operator

Default 03-23-2010, 09:34 PM

I read that FAQ already. Do you have any FAQ that applies to the Mac? I don't have a "required" folder anywhere in the Alice folder. Or maybe you can tell me what the equivalent "required" folder is for the mac? And would I need someone to post replacement tutorial files specifically for the mac, since that FAQ seems to be for Windows?

I have the same issue on a Mac
Old
SusanC

Default I have the same issue on a Mac - 03-24-2010, 01:11 PM

I am running the June 10, 2009 version on a Mac Book Pro and ran into the same tutorial issue plus Tutorial 4 tells me it can't find the gallery and then freezes. Is it really necessary to delete and reinstall? Will that really make a difference?

Old
x2495iiii
Super Moderator

Default 03-24-2010, 07:39 PM

Ooooh... Drat, can't believe I missed that one. Apologies.

I'm really not sure what happened with the tutorials. Personally, I never used them much, but when I did, they worked just fine (and I've used them on a variety of machines, though none were Macs). Recently, however, it's become a popular issue.

I have two ideas at the moment.

First is to ask zonedabone for help, as he's the one who came up with the answer to the first big tutorial problem. He may not have a Mac, though, so I don't know how well that's going to work.

Second would be to have a Mac user with a bug-free version of Alice to upload his copy of Alice and let you try it. In my experience, each copy of Alice is somewhat different, meaning different strengths and weaknesses. Mine, for example, can play sounds and handle large file games perfectly, but triggers errors when event actions are interrupted. If we can find a user with a solid Mac version of Alice, it may work better than the versions you two have.

Unfortunately, as I personally am not a Mac user, I can offer little technical advice in the matter. Deleting and re-installing Alice may work, but there's no way to know for sure until you try it.

(')>