Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > Alice 3 > How Do I?

Update on Alice 3.0
Old
DaddyOh

Default Update on Alice 3.0 - 02-18-2008, 07:22 AM

Just wondering how Alice 3.0 is progressing and when we might see a Beta program?

Excited about 3.0....

Old
DickBaldwin

Default 02-18-2008, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyOh View Post
Just wondering how Alice 3.0 is progressing and when we might see a Beta program?

Excited about 3.0....
I may have my dates mixed up, but I believe the latest official schedule is to distribute the beta version to a very few select individuals for use in Fall 08. Apparently, we common folk will have to wait until sometime in 2009 to gain access.

Dick Baldwin
Free Alice tutorials: http://www.dickbaldwin.com/tocalice.htm
Free programming tutorials: http://www.dickbaldwin.com/toc.htm

Last edited by DickBaldwin; 02-18-2008 at 10:48 AM. Reason: To add the sarcastic icon.

Old
gabe
Administrator

Default 02-18-2008, 10:36 AM

Dick is correct, there is unlikely to be a public beta before 2009. Wanda and I have been drafting up a short Alice 3.0 progress report, which I will try and post this afternoon.

Old
lanceA

Default 02-18-2008, 04:11 PM

But there is an update release for Alice 2.0 coming shortly!!

Old
gabe
Administrator

Default 02-18-2008, 06:23 PM

I have put an Alice 3.0 progress report online.

If anyone has any questions, feel free to post them here or email/pm me.

Alice 3.0 Progress Report

Old
DrJim

Default 02-21-2008, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanceA View Post
But there is an update release for Alice 2.0 coming shortly!!
Where is there information on this?

It would be a VERY welcome update (especially if it fixes scripting as was originally planned).

Old
lanceA

Default 02-21-2008, 03:19 PM

The information was in the most recent ALICE Newsletter.

Old
DickBaldwin

Default 02-21-2008, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanceA View Post
The information was in the most recent ALICE Newsletter.
Here is what it said in that newsletter:
----------------------------------------------------------

Welcome to our first Alice e-newsletter of 2008. Perhaps our biggest news is that we will be releasing a new version of Alice 2, which will be called Alice 2.2. This "point release" will include two new features:

1) There will be an option to save your world out as a movie. With the increased popularity of YouTube as a venue for students to disseminate movies, we decided that we needed to provide this ability ASAP.

2) Many of the human characters in the People gallery will now have a walk method. One of the biggest complaints we have gotten is that it is really hard to make a realistic walk. So, we'll be providing one.

Alice 2.2 will also fix some of the bugs reported with Alice 2.0. Prentice Hall has encouraged on us to put out a second edition of Learning to Program With Alice, and, assuming that I can get the time to review the changes Wanda and I have made (mainly to Tips and Techniques sections), the new edition of our book should be available for use with your classes this Fall. Please note that Alice 2.2 will be available for free download from the web, so it will not be necessary to buy the new edition of the book in order to get access to the new features in Alice 2.2.
-------------------------------------------------------

Dick Baldwin
Free Alice tutorials: http://www.dickbaldwin.com/tocalice.htm
Free programming tutorials: http://www.dickbaldwin.com/toc.htm

Old
DrJim

Default 02-22-2008, 10:20 AM

That sounds really great - it fixes what (IMO) were the two greatest problems with the current version (bugs and lack of video output) and the walk will be a major plus in that it will force a common object hierarchy, at least for those objects using the method. The approach to releasing the upgrade sounds good also.

I hope the text - or mayby a tutorial - explains why these improvements are good. One of my biggest problems over the years managing new graduates in software is that they had absolutely no idea what software maintanence was - let alone how to do it efficiently.

(If anyone reading this doesn't think it's important - rethink the issue the next time you are flying and remember that all of a modern commercial airliner's flight control systems are software controlled.)

thanks
Old
michaelauthour

Default thanks - 08-12-2018, 02:04 PM

Great thread! Been looking for this info.

Michael
Freelance Sports Journalist
Best Sports Tips Africa