Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > Alice 2 > How do I...?

Any suggestions on making objects stop just before hitting the target object
Old
Sparkee77

Default Any suggestions on making objects stop just before hitting the target object - 02-26-2010, 07:59 PM

With changing my numbers over and over till the object stops in front of the target is there a easier way of making the object stop before hitting my target.

Old
zonedabone

Default 02-26-2010, 08:18 PM

Here's how I did it with two spheres:

sphereHighPoly move ( ( ( sphereHighPoly distance to sphereHighPoly2 ) - ( subject = sphereHighPoly 's width ) ) ) toward target = sphereHighPoly2

Note that ( subject = sphereHighPoly 's width ) is just how far away you want the object to stop at.

Download the world and see what it looks like!
Attached Files
File Type: a2w Spheres.a2w (202.5 KB, 9 views)

'Apple Macintosh' - An anagram of 'Complaints Heap'

M.A.C.I.N.T.O.S.H. - Machine Always Crashes, If Not, The Operating System Hangs.

You're *such* a mac person.

seems to work
Old
Sparkee77

Default seems to work - 02-26-2010, 10:32 PM

seems to work did not know if I had to mess with the parameters or variables to do that.

moving object without collision
Old
jessikamacd

Default moving object without collision - 02-28-2010, 10:57 PM

I am actually newly registered to the alice site due to my needing some technical help, and read your post asking about how to move objects closer without touching and not having to do as you mentioned.... I see there is a response and you figured it out but another suggestion if you are interestead is to create a variable and name it distance, and then using the objects move method, and the objects distance to function, and you can make a mathmatical expression and end with minus (-) the second objects 'depth' and it will stop it right in front of it without 'collision' or placing objects on top of eachother. Hope th at is another idea for you