Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > Alice 2 > Works-In-Progress

View Poll Results: What do you think of Walice?
Awesome 1 33.33%
Good 1 33.33%
Okay 1 33.33%
Bad 0 0%
Horrible 0 0%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

Walice
Old
zonedabone

Default Walice - 07-16-2010, 08:42 PM

I am working on an Alice OS called Walice. Now, don't just skip over this to the next thread yet, because I am making it different from other OS's. Active programs are kept in a list, and there is a single active program, however, all running programs will remain operational, unless They're programmed not to. (Only execute when it's active) Anyway, this method of execution makes the system very easy to work with. Up to 4 processes can be functional at any given time, and the easy task bar on the bottom of the screen makes for simple program switching. This is all done with each program having a list of GUI elements that must be showing for it. When a program starts, it adds itself to the executable list and sets itself as active, then calls for the task bar to be redrawn. This causes all window visibility to be refreshed, and is only done when necessary, to conserve computing power. I will be over-viewing current applications as I make them below.

The Terminal - Currently, it's just a statement evaluator, with a twist! code execution will be written entirely with python. There is a default execution script built in, but new scripts will also be available online as they are needed. This auto update feature makes Alice OS more versatile than any other OS on the 'Market'.

Settings - General system settings will be here. This includes setting double click time, (Yes. You double click to launch programs!) and set design things, such as custom system backgrounds and styles.

Clock - Just a simple clock. It can be analog or digital depending on settings. It runs independently of the application architecture.

Taskbar - This section includes the start menu, the applications list, and the tray. The tray will (hopefully) include reminders. For example, when updates are available to python scripts in the application, the hope is that you will get a notice here. If applications experience any trouble, you will also be notified here. I might also integrate an alert system, that allows you to set custom reminders. You will be notified via speech bubble from the tray.

Some screen-shots will come as soon as I get a few apps implemented.

'Apple Macintosh' - An anagram of 'Complaints Heap'

M.A.C.I.N.T.O.S.H. - Machine Always Crashes, If Not, The Operating System Hangs.

You're *such* a mac person.

Old
zonedabone

Default 07-17-2010, 03:08 PM

Anyway, here's the first parts of it. The icons all work, and the first two settings work, but the terminal only has two commands: exit and minimize.

Processes also work. you can switch to a program simply by clicking on it's taskbar icon. Also, you must double click on icons to run them. It took some work to do that.
Attached Files
File Type: a2w Walice.01.a2w (349.5 KB, 26 views)

M.A.C.I.N.T.O.S.H. - Machine Always Crashes, If Not, The Operating System Hangs.

Old
DensetsuNoKaboom

Default 07-17-2010, 08:15 PM

It's definitely a long way from completion, but great as is too!

Thank you for taking the time to read this signature. This signature loves you.

Old
zonedabone

Default 07-17-2010, 08:25 PM

Well, it's sort of just the kernel now. I have made it so that it's easy to build on. The next version implements the clock, and has a basic script executer. It runs like this:
  • A keyword is found in the command. This is everything before the first space.
  • The argument string is set to everything after the first space.
  • Different sets of code are executed depending on the keyword.
One example of this is pyexec, which allows you to run any jython statement.

Old
arty-fishL

Arrow 08-07-2010, 06:53 PM

sounds super, I expect it to be when it is finished. One problem is the movement of icons, it falls under the problem of the built in mouse dragging having the shift and control modifier keys.
Ive already said that my OS is going to have scripts (Alice, jython hybrid), and cmd line currently has jython line in the latest version, also there is a task bar (not yet fully functional) and it switches between application (not yet fully implemented), with a system management panel; not so original now then
Sorry, just jokes, I still expect yours to be amazingly wonderful.

█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
█░░▓░░░░░░░▓░░░░░░░░░░░▓▓░░▓░░░░░░▓░░░▓░░░░█
█░▓░▓░▓▓▓░▓▓▓░▓░▓░░░░░░▓▒▒░░▒░░▓▓░▓▓▓░▓▒░░░█
█░▓▓▓▒▓▒▒▒░▓▒▒▓▓▓▒▓▓▓░▓▓▓░░▓░░░▓▒▒▓▒▓▒▓▒░░░█
█░▓▒▓▒▓▒░░░▓▓░░▒▓▒░▒▒▒░▓▒▒░▓▓░▓▓▒░▓▒▓▒▓▒░░░█
█░▓▒▓▒░▒░░░░▒▒▓▓▓▒░░░░▓▓▒░░░▒▒░▒▒░░▒░▒▓▓▓░░█
█░░▒░▒░░░░░░░░░▒▒▒░░░░░▒▒░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▒▒▒░█
█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█

I have mostly moved on from Alice, but may still respond to messages if important [¬º-°]¬

Old
zonedabone

Default 08-07-2010, 10:10 PM

This project has shifted to the back burner. I'm currently "working" on the calculator app. The multitasking system is complete, and application switching is a snap.

Old
jediaction

Default 08-08-2010, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zonedabone View Post
Well, it's sort of just the kernel now. I have made it so that it's easy to build on. The next version implements the clock, and has a basic script executer. It runs like this:
  • A keyword is found in the command. This is everything before the first space.
  • The argument string is set to everything after the first space.
  • Different sets of code are executed depending on the keyword.
One example of this is pyexec, which allows you to run any jython statement.
Excellent program. I could run it smoothly. Right like your own language in alice. If this is typed, it does this. Make your own!

FaceBook: www.facebook.com/SalokinGames

Old
DensetsuNoKaboom

Default 08-25-2010, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zonedabone View Post
This project has shifted to the back burner. I'm currently "working" on the calculator app. The multitasking system is complete, and application switching is a snap.
Yay, I love calculator apps!

You know what someone should make? A MAC in Alice.

Thank you for taking the time to read this signature. This signature loves you.

Old
labtek9

Default 08-25-2010, 03:56 PM

Wow this is cool zone, I'm starting to think your showing off

Not in anyway was this meant to offend you, I apologize if it did.

Roar Face! >:O

Circle Buddy!