Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > General Discussion > Questions and Comments

3d Model Creation
Old
dragnet

Default 3d Model Creation - 02-21-2010, 11:02 PM

I am a college student working on a project for my institution. The project is going to require some custom 3d models. I have spent the last 2 weeks running through 3ds Max textbooks only to find I am not much of an artist. I think I could eventually create the models, but it will take me far too long.

Our team is at the point where we would like to look into contracting out the work to create the models needed. Can anyone point us in the direction of someone who might know how to create Alice applicable models?

TIA...

Old
x2495iiii
Super Moderator

Default 02-21-2010, 11:04 PM

Well which models did you want?

(')>

Old
dragnet

Default 02-21-2010, 11:27 PM

We are creating an educational package for Aboriginal youth. The idea being that we can create a culturally specific sound and image gallery and then teach the students to use Alice using objects from their heritage.

For now we definitely need a racoon, marten, otter and mink. Possibly a seagull as well but we can probably pull that off by modifying existing texture maps for any of the birds. I've tried creating some models in 3ds Max and for the most part can do alright with basic shaped objects. Have not been able to figure out how to create models that have a heirarchy and proper pivot points yet. I have found an otter model online, but like I said can not make it work in Alice yet. I can break it apart but the pieces don't move correctly(Probably a pivot point or attachment thing).

Our initial plan was to take existing Alice models and import their wireframes back into 3ds Max where we could modify them to suit. I think we could pull that off if we could recreate the .ase files. Unfortunately I don't think this is possible, from what I have played with and been told.

If you know of anyone who can create the models it would be much appreciated. I would be more then happy to help, if I could, as I would love to learn the correct process.

Thanks again...

Old
x2495iiii
Super Moderator

Default 02-22-2010, 12:26 AM

I recommend searching the Google Sketchup Warehouse for the animals you want, then posting the links here so I can convert them to Alice format.

Or you could learn to use Sketchup yourself, as it's a very easy-to-learn program and can be used to make custom models fairly quickly.

(')>

Old
dragnet

Default 02-22-2010, 11:02 AM

Doesn't seem to be any of the models I need in the Google Sketchup repository. I'll play with Sketchup and see what I can come up with.

Thanks for your help.

Old
jediaction

Default 03-07-2010, 07:48 AM

Google skektchup has alsmot every model. You can ask someone who is good at google sketchup to do it. I dont know about me.

FaceBook: www.facebook.com/SalokinGames

Old
dragnet

Default 03-07-2010, 10:59 AM

Almost every model, but not a Mink, Marten, Otter or Raccoon. I need some specific models for a Aboriginal themed legend.

I've become good enough to pull apart 3ds Max models and import them into Alice (Well at least it worked for an Otter I found). Just have to figure out how to create new pivot points in 3ds Max for each 'piece' I've detached from the original model. I'm getting there. Wish I had the ability to draw an animal from scratch, but I am not close to being called an artist!

Old
jediaction

Default 03-08-2010, 07:46 AM

I see, thats wierd that no one has posted an racoons

FaceBook: www.facebook.com/SalokinGames