Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > Alice 2 > How do I...?

How to Import a *.zip file into Alice 2.0
Old
GordB

Default How to Import a *.zip file into Alice 2.0 - 05-25-2009, 12:00 PM

I found a tutorial on scene changes from Duke university. The author directs you to a link for the *.a2w file. However, when you save the download to your desktop, the folder is in *.zip format. Upon trying to import the *.zip file, Alice flags the user with following message: no importer found to load given file type.

I tried saving the file as a *.a2w file, but that didn't work either. If there is anyone with a solution to this problem it would be great to hear from you.

Thank you.

Gord

Old
DrJim

Default 05-25-2009, 04:26 PM

This one is a bit tricky, since it's likely to be partially dependent on your network server configuration. Since .a2w files are just .zip compressed files, occasionally a server will recongnize the compression and automatically change the file extension. If that's the case, just changing the file extention back to .a2w should work.

On the other hand, some people (including myself) tend to include a text file - and sometimes art - in the same folder as the .a2w file and then compress the combination. In that case, you actually have to unzip the folder to get to the .a2w file.

Finally, 7-Zip may work better for decompression if there are unusual file types in the downloaded .zip file.

If none of these suggestions help, post the URL for the file and I'll give it a try.

How to Import a *.zip file into Alice 2.0
Old
GordB

Default How to Import a *.zip file into Alice 2.0 - 05-26-2009, 01:13 PM

Hi Dr. Jim:

Thank you for your reply. I used 7-Zip to extract the files and it still didn't work. Not sure what I'm doing wrong. The URL is listed below. The fille can be found under the "Scene Change" tutorial.

Thanks again.

http://www.cs.duke.edu/csed/alice/al.../tutorials.php

a2w files are a form of zip, but.....
Old
hgs

Default a2w files are a form of zip, but..... - 05-26-2009, 05:10 PM

You picked up the a2w file. I suggest that you re-get it, but right-click and "save as" in your browser. You should (hopefully) be able to ensure the extension is a2w.

You then told us this "didn't work". OK, how did you get it into Alice to be sure it didn't work? You may have done something incorrectly, based on sound reasoning. When it didn't work, how did you know? What errors did you get? Unfortunately, in computing, detail is critical in solving problems. You might also like to tell us which version(s) of Alice you tried this with, on what platform (Linux, Windows, Mac), and anything else that looks technically unusual.

When you open an a2w file, you should be opening a new alice world.

*.a2w files do use a form of zip compression based on the Java library that comes with Alice. I have found recompressing the unpacked files with Winzip did not produce a valid Alice file, even with the corrected extension. Also, on Vista, unpacking zips has been problematic. So, even in the details of "a zip file" there is a lot of room for bugs.

I hope this helps.

Old
lanceA

Default 05-26-2009, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordB View Post
Hi Dr. Jim:

Thank you for your reply. I used 7-Zip to extract the files and it still didn't work. Not sure what I'm doing wrong. The URL is listed below. The fille can be found under the "Scene Change" tutorial.

Thanks again.

http://www.cs.duke.edu/csed/alice/al.../tutorials.php
I don't mean to butt in here Dr. Jim but all the Alice files on the site he is talking about are in .a2w format. As you previously mentioned some browsers automatically note that these are Zip files and attempt to download them as .zip files.

I'm using Windows XP Pro, SP3. When I downloaded the files from the web site sure enough my browser tried to save them as .zip files. I simply used the 'Save As' command and changed the .zip to .a2w and then completed the download process. Alice 2.0 opened the worlds with no problem.

Beware that the first file to be downloaded from the Scene Change group is a class file, superGround. Again my browser tried to download it as a .zip file. I changed its extension to .a2c (the proper file extension for class files in Alice) and it downloads with no problems.

Just for info: It always pays to read the information presented on the page you are downloading from. This page clearly states: "If the Alice world you download is called story.a2w, your computer may think it is a .zip file and rename it to story.zip or story.a2w.zip. DO NOT unpack it or extract files, but instead rename it........."

I hope this helps,

Last edited by lanceA; 05-26-2009 at 07:21 PM. Reason: normal typos

Old
DrJim

Default 05-26-2009, 06:45 PM

I was trying to say the same as LanceA, but may not have been clear. Also I didn't realize the browser problem could exist with .a2c files.

Anyway, the first thing to do is just change the file extensions and see if that work. If that's the problem - additional decompression will just goof things up.

Also make sure the world is for Alice 2.x - not Storytelling Alice.

Old
GordB

Default 05-27-2009, 09:22 AM

Good morning:

Importing the *.a2w file still won't work. I keep getting the same error message:

"No importer found to load file type".

Initially, I didn't try to open the file in Alice 2.0 since the tutorial was directing you to import the file. However, when I try to open the world I get the following error message:

"edu.cmu.cs.stage3.alice.core.model[ground][vehicle]->edu.cmu.cs.stage3.alice.core.criterion.externalRe ferenceKeyCriterion[]. Would you like to continue setting all values to none?"

Unless there is something wrong with my version of Alice 2.0, I'm confused as to why LanceA can open the world but I can't. Alice clearly sees the file as an *.a2w file before I open it.

Old
lanceA

Default 05-27-2009, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordB View Post
Good morning:

Importing the *.a2w file still won't work. I keep getting the same error message:

"No importer found to load file type".

Initially, I didn't try to open the file in Alice 2.0 since the tutorial was directing you to import the file. However, when I try to open the world I get the following error message:

"edu.cmu.cs.stage3.alice.core.model[ground][vehicle]->edu.cmu.cs.stage3.alice.core.criterion.externalRe ferenceKeyCriterion[]. Would you like to continue setting all values to none?"

Unless there is something wrong with my version of Alice 2.0, I'm confused as to why LanceA can open the world but I can't. Alice clearly sees the file as an *.a2w file before I open it.
Can you attach the file to your reply? If not can you email it to lanceallen.allen@gmail.com ?

Old
GordB

Default 05-27-2009, 12:31 PM

Hi Lance:

The attached *.a2w file is the one I saved to my desktop from the Duke University website.

Thanks again for your help.
Attached Files
File Type: a2w SuperGround.a2w (549.4 KB, 19 views)