Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > Alice 2 > Works-In-Progress

View Poll Results: What kind of a weapon switch system should I implement?
Ability to switch between all weapons 15 44.12%
Can only have two weapons at a time (must go to a certain place for more options) 19 55.88%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

New (Well, now it's been here a while) FPS
Old
debussybunny563

Lightbulb New (Well, now it's been here a while) FPS - 07-23-2010, 05:46 PM

I am no longer working on this game. Instead, I am currently occupied with a Halo game that is in development. The plan is to not release the Halo game until I am finished with it, so expect nothing from me for a while. =)

FOR THE MOST RECENT VERSION OF THE GAME, GO TO MY LAST POST

Also, what you see in in the early parts of this thread may not apply later, so always check the last few posts for updates of what's going on.

EDIT: I'm deleting many of the previous game versions to save on space.

I'm currently working on an FPS that uses a different (unorthodox) control scheme. I'll probably post it (a work-in-progress version) within the next week. Check back for updates.

Anyway, here's some features:
Instead of using mouse control, this FPS uses a 'double keyboard' scheme. Basically: ESDF to strafe and IJKL to 'look.' Might be a little unusual at first, but you get the hang of it quickly (at least, you should).
SPACE to shoot, A to aim, W and R to switch between primary and secondary weapon, and T for manual reload (you also reload if your ammo turns to 0).

No real story or mission yet, but I'm working on it.

So far, 4 weapons.
M4, AK47, UMP 45, and Desert Eagle.
I might add an MP5, Benelli M4 shotgun, and possibly a minigun, if I don't tire of this project (or have the time)
The different weapons do different damage, and damage also varies with distance from the target.

You have allies, but they don't do anything right now (just have them in cool poses).

Right now, I only have one enemy, but it's a work in progress.The enemy can detect you if you're in front of you and within a certain distance, and also turns around if you shoot him from behind. He's armed with an AK47 (but shoots slowly), and can also inflict damage on you. The edges of the screen turn red whenever you're shot, but I don't have anything happen when you die though(for now). However, when you kill your enemy, he falls over dead.

Unlimited ammo, but you have a set number of ammunition in each magazine or clip, so you periodically have to reload.

You can only carry two weapons at a time (default is M4 and Desert Eagle), but if close enough to a pile of crates (they're in the barn), if you press 'g' you can switch out your primary and secondary weapons.

Sorry for not attaching the world, I might want to spruce up a few things before I start posting updates.

Meanwhile, here's some photos (kind of hard for me to get good moments, but hope you like)(another note:'circles' rear reticle are actually cones, representing bullets; cylinders coming from the side of the gun are ejected cartridges):
Pictures (from top to bottom):
1. Reload sequence for the AK
2. Ownage with the UMP (my fav gun). Note that I would not have normally been hit, it was hard to take the right screenshot
3. Firing the Desert Eagle
4. A kill with the AK
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AKreload.jpg (13.3 KB, 435 views)
File Type: jpg UMP OWNAGE!.jpg (15.2 KB, 438 views)
File Type: jpg Deaglefiring.jpg (11.9 KB, 435 views)
File Type: jpg AKkill.jpg (11.2 KB, 433 views)

Last edited by debussybunny563; 03-30-2011 at 05:43 PM.

More pics
Old
debussybunny563

Post More pics - 07-23-2010, 05:52 PM

Alice won't let me do more than 5 pics, so here are some more.

Also, special thanks to the people who designed the weapons, I'm sorry I didn't remember which people made them. If you made one of them, perhaps you could claim so on this thread.

About mouse-control, some reasons for disliking it in Alice is that in some configurations, you can't turn around 360 degrees (i.e. the screen only moves when the mouse moves), and for the others it is difficult to aim (i.e. the screen moves whenever the mouse is away from the center).

Some less-epic pics (top to bottom):
1. Red dot equipped on the UMP
2. M4
3. Desert Eagle
4. Allies. Note the random MP5. Later I might make it useable. The allies were supposed to all be focused on the enemy, but I moved him, so they're just there.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Aiming with the Red Dot Sight.jpg (10.2 KB, 437 views)
File Type: jpg M4.jpg (11.6 KB, 434 views)
File Type: jpg Deagle.jpg (13.8 KB, 434 views)
File Type: jpg Allies.jpg (10.8 KB, 434 views)

Last edited by debussybunny563; 07-24-2010 at 12:52 PM.

Old
jediaction

Default 07-24-2010, 09:45 AM

Hmm, can you post this. Im interested in testing it and since ive made so many FPS games, mabye i could give a some tips. If you dont want anyone else to see it you can private post and i wont post for anyone else if you dont want me to.

FaceBook: www.facebook.com/SalokinGames

Old
debussybunny563

Post 07-24-2010, 09:53 AM

Thanks for the offer.

I'll definitely post it, but it's just that I merely have most of the technical issues down, no real gameplay. There's just one enemy and that's it (for now). BTW, I changed the environment, so that barn you're seeing won't be there.

My idea was for it to be a kind of 'defend your outpost' kind of game where waves of enemies (they'll respawn, obviously) try to take over your position. I'll have to work on collision detection though. I guess I could post it.

I am happy to have one of the more active (and better) members of the Alice Forums review my FPS. As I said before, though, there isn't any mouse control, just a 'double-keyboard' type thing. The main reason it doesn't utilize the mouse is simply because when I started making FPS's, I just didn't realize you could do it (I've seen some of yours, would like to compliment you on them). That thing about how hard it is to control was probably just more of an excuse, but it is true to an extent.
So, I'll probably get it up within the next few days (if not today).

Check back soon!

Last edited by debussybunny563; 07-24-2010 at 12:13 PM.

Old
jediaction

Default 07-24-2010, 10:34 AM

Well, it looks like good animation. I want to see good animation

FaceBook: www.facebook.com/SalokinGames

Here it is!
Old
debussybunny563

Talking Here it is! - 07-24-2010, 10:41 AM

Got the world for ya. Feel free to mess around with it, but I warn you, there are a lot of events, properties, and methods (though not as much as some I've seen).

Also, if you try to reposition the guerilla, you might run into problems when you play it (I didn't figure out why at first, either). The reason is I made a pivot for the guerilla, so when he turns to shoot at you, the pivot's moving. If you move him away from the pivot, it'll mess up the AI (he doesn't move yet, though). Same thing with the character. To move him (and the camera), use the bush. I probably should have used dummies, but, like mouse control, I didn't know about them.

Many of the gun/vehicle models I think were converted by X (don't have anything against him, but 'super' moderator? He definitely is a great contributor and deserves to be one, but the name just sounds a bit cheesy), so a shout out to him.

When you are in front of the crates, you can press 'g' to switch weapons (it'll let you know when you are within distance). Pop-up menus will appear, just follow them (the UMP requires a code though. If you want it, private message me. I'll probably get rid of that later, but I just wanted to do that since it's my favorite gun).

For any questions, suggestions just ask me on my page.

In terms of good animation, I added simulated recoil (i.e. the character turns backward, the screen turns backward, the guns eject cartridges), there is simulated 'breathing' (when you're idle, the character's upper body moves up and down), you sprint after running a certain time (unfortunately, no walk animation right now besides the breathing, will get it up later-you might have to remind me though), aiming is nice, a simple (but effective) switch-weapon animation, reticle expands after prolonged shooting. Hope you like it. Any and all (most) suggestions are welcome.

Edit: I'll just be posting updates of my FPS on this post (hence xfinal2). So, if you want the file, hopefully I'll be able to put most of them here.
Attached Files
File Type: a2w xfinal-posting3.a2w (6.45 MB, 101 views)

Last edited by debussybunny563; 08-14-2010 at 12:14 PM.

Weapon Switching
Old
debussybunny563

Question Weapon Switching - 07-24-2010, 10:52 AM

I do have a question for anybody out there. How should I implement a weapon switching system, or rather, what kind? Currently I have it so that you only have 2 slots, and must go to a certain place (some stacked crates) if you want to switch those 2 out. I was wondering whether I should make it so that you carry all the weapons and can switch between all of them at any time. I'm not sure about picking up weapons though, too much work for me. If it comes down to it, I could spend a few hours on that, but it's not as fitting for the game situation.
Any other suggestions for a system would also be appreciated.
(poll is at top)

Last edited by debussybunny563; 07-24-2010 at 12:20 PM.

its very good
Old
arty-fishL

Thumbs up its very good - 07-24-2010, 08:43 PM

Its nice to see somebody new to the Alice community with immediate natural talent. Its very good, I like the double keyboard system, but sometimes I lose the keys and end up to the left or right of the correct key wondering why the guy isnt moving right, but practice should fix that. Very good animations, even subtle ones like the breathing, but it would be nice if the recoil came down again, as I slowly find the guy aiming higher and higher as he shoots.

█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
█░░▓░░░░░░░▓░░░░░░░░░░░▓▓░░▓░░░░░░▓░░░▓░░░░█
█░▓░▓░▓▓▓░▓▓▓░▓░▓░░░░░░▓▒▒░░▒░░▓▓░▓▓▓░▓▒░░░█
█░▓▓▓▒▓▒▒▒░▓▒▒▓▓▓▒▓▓▓░▓▓▓░░▓░░░▓▒▒▓▒▓▒▓▒░░░█
█░▓▒▓▒▓▒░░░▓▓░░▒▓▒░▒▒▒░▓▒▒░▓▓░▓▓▒░▓▒▓▒▓▒░░░█
█░▓▒▓▒░▒░░░░▒▒▓▓▓▒░░░░▓▓▒░░░▒▒░▒▒░░▒░▒▓▓▓░░█
█░░▒░▒░░░░░░░░░▒▒▒░░░░░▒▒░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▒▒▒░█

I have mostly moved on from Alice, but may still respond to messages if important [¬º-°]¬

confused
Old
arty-fishL

Question confused - 07-24-2010, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jediaction View Post
If you dont want anyone else to see it you can private post and i wont post for anyone else if you dont want me to.
What do you mean by private post? You cant mean private message because they cant have attachments, so

█░░▓░░░░░░░▓░░░░░░░░░░░▓▓░░▓░░░░░░▓░░░▓░░░░█
█░▓░▓░▓▓▓░▓▓▓░▓░▓░░░░░░▓▒▒░░▒░░▓▓░▓▓▓░▓▒░░░█
█░▓▓▓▒▓▒▒▒░▓▒▒▓▓▓▒▓▓▓░▓▓▓░░▓░░░▓▒▒▓▒▓▒▓▒░░░█
█░▓▒▓▒▓▒░░░▓▓░░▒▓▒░▒▒▒░▓▒▒░▓▓░▓▓▒░▓▒▓▒▓▒░░░█
█░▓▒▓▒░▒░░░░▒▒▓▓▓▒░░░░▓▓▒░░░▒▒░▒▒░░▒░▒▓▓▓░░█
█░░▒░▒░░░░░░░░░▒▒▒░░░░░▒▒░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▒▒▒░█

I have mostly moved on from Alice, but may still respond to messages if important [¬º-°]¬

Old
debussybunny563

Talking 07-25-2010, 08:12 AM

Thanks for the compliment, Arty. I'm trying to get rid of that 'junior' tag, but don't exactly want to spam the forums doing so.

Edit: Hey, what a coincidence. This was my 15th post. Yay, I'm a member!
2nd double edit: Now I just have to see how long it takes to become a senior.

Double edit: I've created 4 or 5 fps's total, but most of the previous ones (excuse me) sucked. I'll give you a rundown:
1. Move with WASD (A and D to turn) and click on the target with the mouse to shoot. Yep, there's no real aiming. And you can't look up. Weapons: akimbo revolver. That's it.
2. Same thing, but better environment. Also, I got an M4 and the pistol. Also, you could pick up a Barret that was mounted on a wall. No scoping though.
3. Ah, now we come to the double keyboard system. Kind of nice, but largely incomplete. Set in snow.
4. Same as above, set in snow, but a lot better and more complete. I could post it if anyone wants to see. You have an M4 and a pistol, and it's pretty nice.
The problem with this (and it applies to all others above it) is that the M4 was made with a bunch of boppers (they're in the amusement park section), and a few other objects vehicled together. When I discovered you could import objects (thanks, X), I started this one. It's definitely my best yet(end double edit).

In terms of the aim getting higher and higher, I meant for that to happen because it's more realistic. In many other FPS games, you have to drag the mouse down while you're shooting to keep it on target. So similarly, you probably want to keep your (excuse me) middle finger on the 'k' key whenever you're shooting (the aim does come down a little bit though, but still not as much as it goes up). Good luck controlling the recoil on the Deagle!

About losing your position on the keyboard, it's happened to me before, but it's getting increasingly rare. It's like your normal typing position (i.e. your index fingers are on 'f' and 'j'), so just remember that you should feel those little stubs on your index fingers.

I'll keep posting updates. Do you think I should post a new update with a new post each time, or just change the attachment? That way, I don't need to make too many posts, but the other way people can't see previous versions.
Edit: I'm probably not going to add a walk animation now. For me, as long as it doesn't disturb gameplay, it's fine.

I'd really appreciate suggestions. Thanks in advance. I probably can't take all of them, though. I do already have certain things in mind, as well.

4th edit: Srry 'bout the long posts, I'm used to typing long e-mails.

Last edited by debussybunny563; 07-25-2010 at 10:47 AM.

Tags
cool, fps, game, gun, gun shooting game, shooting, x-final