Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > General Discussion > Questions and Comments

History of Alice
Old
HisWorld

Post History of Alice - 05-11-2009, 08:26 PM

I am researching a little of the history of alice for a paper.

Alice orginally was created out of an attempt find a new way to interface with computer's in a Virtual Reality setting.

Here is an interesting link I found to an old article written by Randy Pausch preAlice 99.

These two links almost see to show a different original purpose. Was Alice orginally made witih the chief goal to teach programming, or as a way to rapidly modify 3D environments?

I am most interested in any detailed studies of the success in Alice being used as an education material.

Also, I can't remeber who asked me in the past about Alice 3.0, whether it will have a direct relation to java. This video seems to show that has already been done.

Old
gabe
Administrator

Default 05-11-2009, 11:13 PM

Alice was originally a 3D VR rapid prototyping tool.

There have been quite a few papers written on or partly on Alice. I have been meaning to create a page indexing them, but have not had the time. However, try using Google Scholar. Some good keywords to start you off:

Randy Pausch
Wanda Dann
Steve Cooper
Alice Programming

Old
HisWorld

Default 05-13-2009, 09:23 AM

Can you verify that this is the original Alice programming team?

Alice Team: Randy Pausch (head), Tommy Burnette, A. C. Capehart, Matthew Conway, Dennis Cosgrove, Rob DeLine, Jim Durbin, Rich Gossweiler, Shuichi Koga, Jeff White

I am gathering info, but info on the past is still alittle sparse, however there is plenty of recent articles!

this may help you
Old
HisWorld

Default this may help you - 05-16-2009, 09:17 AM

I found a few links to get you started Gabe.

Repository of papers written about Alice -

http://www.sju.edu/~scooper/alice/alice.html

Collection of Alice articles -

http://www.alice.org/stage3/pubs.html

Last edited by HisWorld; 05-17-2009 at 09:28 PM.

Old
DrJim

Default 05-16-2009, 04:28 PM

One of the papers I found listed in the references, written in 1995, was
http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~stage3/public...ndA/paper.html .

It is particularly interesting since it goes back to the very beginnings of Alice at the University of Virginia - many generations of hardware and operating systems ago. A lot of the videos on the Alice home page also show the VR roots - before the VR projects and the educational software projects got separated.

Old
HisWorld

Default 05-17-2009, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJim View Post
One of the papers I found listed in the references, written in 1995, was
http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~stage3/public...ndA/paper.html .

It is particularly interesting since it goes back to the very beginnings of Alice at the University of Virginia - many generations of hardware and operating systems ago. A lot of the videos on the Alice home page also show the VR roots - before the VR projects and the educational software projects got separated.
Yep, that was my favortie one, I've had that article for a while, found it posted about 5 places on the internet.

Old
pingu

Question 05-18-2009, 10:47 AM

Hi, i'm not entirely sure if my say could even be verified... i'm a self taught user... was Alice created to help kids (like me) learn about java scripting and computer programming? I heard somebody say that it was and it'll be great if i could get more information on this. Thanks,

Pingu

and you may want to check your spelling of favourite... sorry! I'm a pedantic human being, you know...

Old
HisWorld

Default 05-18-2009, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pingu View Post
Hi, i'm not entirely sure if my say could even be verified... i'm a self taught user... was Alice created to help kids (like me) learn about java scripting and computer programming? I heard somebody say that it was and it'll be great if i could get more information on this. Thanks,
human being, you know...
Look at the earlier posts. Alice was originally concieved as a tool to allow 3D VR rapid prototyping. I posted several links for more info. I have also written a term paper that has alittle bit of Alice's history in it. I don't know if I should post it on the internet or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pingu View Post
and you may want to check your spelling of favourite... sorry! I'm a pedantic human being, you know...
Sorry "favorite", I probably was typing and got the i in the wrong place. Are you british? Otherwise you had alittle gaff yourself.

Old
Scott300

Default 05-18-2009, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HisWorld View Post
Look at the earlier posts. Alice was originally concieved as a tool to allow 3D VR rapid prototyping. I posted several links for more info. I have also written a term paper that has alittle bit of Alice's history in it. I don't know if I should post it on the internet or not.
I would personally love to read it if you would be so kind to post it. =)
  Send a message via AIM to Scott300 Send a message via MSN to Scott300  
Old
DrJim

Default 05-21-2009, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott300 View Post
I would personally love to read it if you would be so kind to post it. =)
Add me to the list that would really like to see it if you have time to post it.

Tags
alice 99, history, randy paucsh