Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > Alice 2 > Works-In-Progress

View Poll Results: What do you think of the video game concept idea? (Choose all that apply)
I'd like to see more. 3 100.00%
Be more specific. 0 0%
Be less specific. 0 0%
Needs screenshots. 0 0%
Nah, go ahead and stop. 0 0%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

Video Game Concepts Vol. 1 (Combos)
Old
x2495iiii
Super Moderator

Default Video Game Concepts Vol. 1 (Combos) - 06-01-2009, 08:38 PM

I was going over some of the Alice worlds I've written in my spare time over the years and I've realized that a lot of them were centered around some concept in commercial video games that I'd seen/played and was trying to understand. Then I thought it might be fun to refine and post them to teach these concepts to everyone! So here's the first one: combos.

Background: More than a few people have posted asking about how to design a combo system using Alice. A friend of mine and I had worked on it for a short while with no success, after some thought I was able to replicate it.

Explanation: A combo is a set of methods in a game which are all called using the same action, but are called sequentially instead of simultaneously by repeating the action. Usually, the action has to be repeated quickly in order to perform the whole combo, otherwise the first method is called again.

Example: The samurai in my world performing three separate attacks, all triggered by pressing the space bar quickly three times in a row (within .2 seconds for each press)

Key Ideas: Since there is no way to initiate or interrupt a method in Alice while another method is running (unless they are run simultaneously), a similar method can be used. By infinitely looping a method which checks a number variable, strikeNum, the first attack is performed. Then, by checking to see if the variable has changed during the first attack, the second attack is performed. Finally, a third check to see if the number has changed during the second attack allows the third attack to be performed.

Application: Since infinite loops are cubersome and can often cause choppy animation in large quantities or in complex worlds, I'd recommend not using this in a large game.
Attached Files
File Type: a2w ComboConcept.a2w (610.3 KB, 58 views)

(')>

Last edited by x2495iiii; 06-01-2009 at 08:44 PM.

Old
x2495iiii
Super Moderator

Default 11-07-2009, 10:54 PM

I just realized that there's a better way to check the strikeNum variable without using an infinite loop: using a "when a variable changes" event which checks to see what value strikeNum is and does the appropriate action. With this method, it can be used in any Alice world, regardless of size or number of other ongoing actions.

(')>

Old
Chris101b

Default 11-08-2009, 12:19 AM

Nice, I like it.

I am nowhere and everywhere at the same time.

www.facebook.com/chris101b
Xbox Live GT: Chris101b
Youtube: (You guessed it) www.youtube.com/chris101b

Old
jediaction

Default 11-23-2009, 06:30 PM

Cool, good job

FaceBook: www.facebook.com/SalokinGames

Old
reuben2011

Default 11-29-2009, 03:48 AM

Thats cool. Have you applied combo's to things like double jumps?

Old
x2495iiii
Super Moderator

Default 11-29-2009, 08:19 AM

Yes, they're almost the same thing. That's actually part of why I haven't done a double jump yet. The idea of making an action happen right after another action is the same.

(')>