Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > General Discussion > Questions and Comments

Help with Billboard at end of Game
Old
jeisenhart

Default Help with Billboard at end of Game - 05-06-2014, 08:15 PM

I made a simple swimming game where you collect coins and avoid sharks. At the end of the program I’d like to display either the Game Over or Win Screen. I made the menu using a Billboard. I have it so when the lives hit 0 the billboard is showing gets set to true. When I run it, it changes to true in the properties but does not actually show up on screen for some reason. In other words it’s saying its showing but it really isn’t. I’ve tried everything. Any quick help?

It might be showing
Old
MrMoke

Default It might be showing - 05-06-2014, 10:06 PM

Are you sure the camera is pointing at the billboard? If the billboard isn't in front of the camera, you won't see it.

Also,
Old
jrrTolkien

Lightbulb Also, - 05-06-2014, 10:16 PM

And make sure that the opacity is set at 100%. If it's 0%, the thing won't show, despite it's showing value. It might also just be a little behind the camera. If there was a point where you culd see it, hit undo a few times to see what you changed that may have triggered the problem.

-Jrr

Try posting your code
Old
jrrTolkien

Post Try posting your code - 05-06-2014, 10:17 PM

If you put your code up, we can review it and try to find out what's wrong.

It won’t let me attach the file
Old
jeisenhart

Default It won’t let me attach the file - 05-07-2014, 05:47 PM

It won’t let me attach any files for some reason.
I have 2 billboards as Menus that currently work.
I have the main screen and an instruction screen that work fine when I run the program. I’ve also put the screen I’m having trouble with in front of the main menu that is working. When I change the isShowing value to true in the properties window before I run the game, the game over screen does appear. However, when it’s called and it doesn’t work.

I have a “When variable changes event” that calls a method. When the Lives variable change, it calls the “isGameOver” method which has an IF/Else statements that checks if the Lives variable == 0. I know this works because instead of the screen popping up I’ve had the diver instead say game over and that works. I also put the change isShowing to true line of code above the “make diver say” line of code. Since the diver does say Game over it has to be going over that line of code and changing the value. Also when I run the program and look over at the properties window, when the lives hits 0; The isShowing property does change to true however it just doesn’t pop up.

Thanks for the help guys. I’ll keep checking to see if it lets me attach it

We'll try
Old
jrrTolkien

Unhappy We'll try - 05-07-2014, 05:51 PM

We'll do what we can, but it's kind of hard to know what's wrong without seeing it. What happens when you try to attach things?

-Jrr