Administrator

Default Alice 2.2 beta released! - 06-17-2008, 01:11 PM

Alice 2.2 is now available in beta.

Download it here.

Old
lanceA

Default 06-17-2008, 01:34 PM

Thanks Gabe!!

We should let the members know the Window's zipped download is approx 180 Meg and there is a seperate .pdf file you can download for basic instructions on creating videos of your worlds.

Thanks again!

Old
lanceA

Default 06-17-2008, 06:25 PM

Gabe,
Would it be possible to open a new Room Channel exclusive to discussion about release 2.2b ? NOT, let me repeat that, NOT to be used to discuss bugs in version 2.2b since you have already provided us with a URL for reporting these types of problems. And especially since we have all been forwarned that this is a BETA release and there may be some 'problems'.

I was thinking about an area where we might compile positive input about information that each of us discovers as we experiment with this exciting new release. For example, the brief 2.2b Release document mentions that this release offers "Built-in walk animation/methods for 20+ humanoid characters" but does not list these objects. This 'new' channel would be a great place for people to share which object's have these new attributes, etc.

I know I am asking a lot here, but would it also be possible for the development team to maintain a database of users reporting problems with the new 2.2b (Beta) so that we do not have to each time repeat our OS, memory, free hard disk space, etc., etc.?

I realize that I am probably pushing some boundaries here, but I would appreciate your support. I just reported a problem and gave all of the above information in the report. It was a minor problem about instantiating a particular object from the Gallery.

Thank you and please extend my thanks to the developement team for this new BETA, repeat BETA, release.

Thank you for considering it.

Last edited by lanceA; 06-17-2008 at 07:26 PM. Reason: my normal typos

Alice 2.2 Beta release.
Old
hgs

Default Alice 2.2 Beta release. - 06-18-2008, 02:18 PM

I'm pleased to see this arrive. I notice there doesn't seem to be a source .zip available. Might I suggest one be made avaialable, preferably with the Makefile, Ant file, or whatever build script is actually used? That way peaople can test it further, and possibly send you patches. You don't have to accept any patches, but there may be some that would be worth having, even if they are not worth your team's time to write them.

Whatever your team decide to do, thank you.

Old
DrJim

Default 06-18-2008, 03:31 PM

Let me echo LanceA's thanks for the beta release, especially since it comes per your previous schedule.

I thing - if you have time - that the idea for a separate area to discuss problems is a great one.

And for forum users who aren't familiar with the term - "beta" software is a version released to the public before all of the qualification testing has been completed, and can be expected to have bugs!

So please make any comments descriptive and complete - "xxxx doesn't work with yyyy running zzzz OS" really doesn't help the development team at all - in fact it usually distracts them from doing real work.

Old
gabe
Administrator

Default 06-19-2008, 11:12 AM

Yup, I can open a new forum for 2.2 related discussion. Although I have no problem with people reporting bugs to the forum. Feedback is good.

Regarding the source code, I'll try and get it up. Unfortunately, our programmer Madeleine who added the new features to Alice 2.2, is away this summer on an internship, so it might take a little time before I can get a hold of it.

Alice 2.2 beta release.
Old
hgs

Default Alice 2.2 beta release. - 06-19-2008, 11:45 AM

Thank you. If she is away I'm wondering how long the beta period is intended to be? If you get in touch with her it might be worth asking if there are any specific items she'd like people to test, patch, etc. There may be small jobs we can usefully contribute to in the available time.

Old
gabe
Administrator

Default 06-19-2008, 01:31 PM

If we get few reports of issues, then the beta period will be fairly short. It all depends on how many as well as how big the bugs are.

As Madeleine is away for the summer, we will try and fix the problems with a minimal amount of guidance from her, but hopefully the issues will be easy enough to resolve.

I will create an updated list of 2.2 issues in a few weeks, once I've gotten some feedback from users, and we will go from there.

We are giving several teacher workshops this summer so 2.2 will get a decent amount of testing before fall semester.

Old
hdixon

Default 08-06-2008, 10:52 AM

Sure would like to test a 2.2 linux beta......

Application size difference
Old
hdixon

Default Application size difference - 09-02-2008, 12:35 PM

IS there THAT much in new code that the application size went from 123MB to almost 210MB? Wow!

PS - That's the OSX app I'm speaking of....

Last edited by hdixon; 09-02-2008 at 03:38 PM.