View Single Post
Alice Source code and open source development
Old
hgs

Default Alice Source code and open source development - 01-16-2009, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aikmin View Post
Alice is open source. I am working with the source code right now, and i have been and still releasing new updates as i fix bugs in Alice.
Could I trouble you to explain more about your process, please? I was unable to make any progress myself because of the dependency graph, which when I tried to build it was unknown to me and only discoverable by error messages. Also, the process ended in a failure to load something already installed due to a previous dependency.

Dennis Cosgrove's fictional quote:
Quote:
EAD#3: There aren't any Makefiles. It's Java.
may be amusing, but the Java compiler, javac, may be invoked from the command line, so using a Makefile should be possible. If an IDE is expected, there seemed to be no information that I could find about what it should be, or how to setup its configuration for correct operation. Maybe this is extremely obvious to those who actually use the language, which I don't, really. I was exploring this for various reasons, one as a motivator to become more familiar with Java, as it gets everywhere! :-) I would have also liked to contribute a move_horizontally_towards method to overcome the "walking into the ground" problem people have faced.

I hope there will be encouragement for a developer community whose selected contributions may end up in the official source code, when Alice 3 is released. The busy Alice team could benefit from that.