View Single Post
Memory leak within the 3D rendering?
Old
Niteshifter

Default Memory leak within the 3D rendering? - 02-20-2010, 06:54 PM

I recently stumbled onto a major problem and I'm not sure as to how it came about. I started up Alice as I wanted to continue on something I was making and after a moment of waiting an error screen popped up so I closed it and the logo splash that comes up was still there, so I closed it via removing the process and tried opening it again but wasn't able to since the same error popped up.

Next what happened was very abnormal. I had checked certain files to see if Alice had removed them (since it can be fairly unstable) and found the preferences file in the "documents and settings" folder was completely empty, so I went and tried the "ifAliceFailsTryThis.exe" file (mainly because of it's name) and this is what I think started everything. After it finished, Alice failed to open yet again and so I tried reinstall it by removing it and downloading it again, but everything was going extremely slow so I went to check the processes in task manager to see what was happening and found that drwtsn32.exe was running and I know when that starts running on it's own that something went wrong.

The computer was going way too slow, so I decided to just close everything down and do a restart. After restarting, Windows went to the disk check to check for inconsistencies and was going very slow. At about 5% it said that it had to replace the file which copies the RAM at the moment it starts hibernation mode (I forgot what the name was, but it was a .sys file). After that I waited until I thought that it could be a problem with the hard drive and it might have been knocked off balance, so I shut it off (it was only 8% of the way through the disk check) and reseated the hard drive. After that, I turned it on, skipped the disk check and I got a pop up saying that "WarReg_PopUp.exe" had failed and if I wanted to start up the JIT debugger, so I clicked ok to start it and it found that there was no JIT debugger. I then searched up online to see what the problem was and found that this mainly happens with rendering video using the processor.

I tried downloading Alice again with the Kenai mirror and found that all of it was password locked, so I think that should be fixed and after some second-thoughts I decided to not try running it again.

Also, something weird happened with my browser as well. All of the cookies were cleared after the restart (it was probably due to the disk check) and also my spell check is saying words like "the", "then", "with", etc are spelled wrong (may also be due to the removal of cookies). I have no clue what was going on but I'd rather not open Alice again (or at least not on my laptop, or until I know what happened).