View Single Post
Old
x2495iiii
Super Moderator

Default 02-19-2010, 10:54 PM

Meir didn't receive approval, and that's what I've been trying to say since Morpheo's first post.

Now, keep in mind this only applies to you if the modified product is radically different enough to be considered a different program (if all you did was edit the XML tutorials to be Spanish instead of English, I doubt they'll mind. Going any further, though, is pushing it.)

According to open-source code law, it is perfectly legal to alter the code of Alice in any way you see fit, claim the result as your own, and distribute it as you see fit.

However, copyright law states that you CANNOT use the original name, images, trademarks, or other implied affiliations with the unmodified Alice code or it's creators, Carnegie-Mellon and the Alice Team. This is to protect you in the event that they were to try to claim your work as their own (not that they would), and to protect them from blame in the event that your modifications cause damage to the program and make it defective. It's there for both of your sakes.

To sum it up:

You MAY say that the program was "based on Alice" or "derived from Alice"
You MAY name it whatever you like

You MAY NOT, without express permission from the Alice Team, use the name, images, or other trademarks originally reserved by the Alice Team.

Tell you what, though, I'll see what the team's view on the matter is, alright?

(')>