Thread: T.a.c.t.
View Single Post
Responses to responses
Old
JustasM

Talking Responses to responses - 03-16-2009, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch0pStickS View Post
This is pretty cool. It has some neat functions in it. The tuning could be fixed up a bit. I had to decreases sensitivity a couple times to get it matched with my mouse
I agree that the tuning is a slight pain.. However, you must understand that the mouse is different from system to system- everything from mouse sensitivity options to hardware components affect the speed of that little cursor cruising across the screen.

If you have an idea of how the tuning could be improved, please inform me. The only temporary solution I found is to include controls that raise or lower the sensitivity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zonedabone View Post
I think that this is better than anything you can do in flash. A few suggestions:
  • have to dot auto-calibrate to the mouse when you click the center. This would be easy to do with the programming you have used already.
  • It was hard to position my character in the right place to take a base. Do a bit of work on that.
  • There should be a screen when you finish capturing all bases that congradulates you, then uses a function to exit alice. (It's been done)
  • There should be a bit of delay from when you capture a base to when you start earning money. This would make it sso when posession alternates quickly, no money is gained.
  • Adding a bit more depth to the game might be good. How about the dots fight when within a certain distance? You might make it so that a dot has to destry a base to take it over. Some HP would be good.
  • Like you said, a menu makes a game professional.
  • If you do the HP idea, items to restore HP could be added. This could lead to effects on units such as poison or confusion.
  • A multi-level game could be used. Make another level and link them. Twice the levels - twice the fun.
  • I agree that higher quality graphics should be used. This would add realism and make the game all around better.
  • The current help menu format is good. Istructions could be moved to the main menu, but all the dialouge stating actions is good.
  • If you have oponents fight, you'll have to make it possible to deploy more than 3 units. This can be done as long as you limit the number out at any given time.

All in all, a lot of improvements to be made, but still the best game on the forums!
Thanks for the slew of suggestions!

1) I considered the mouse-calibration at the beginning of my post.. If I think of a better way, I'll try to implement it.
2) Shouldn't be too difficult ;] Already have an idea of how to accomplish that.
3) You must understand that the game is still in an early version, and I haven't even set down the final objectives... it might be destroying the enemy's base, or holding some CPs for a certain time! So it might come later.. about exiting Alice, do you have a link to a post or thread about that? I'd be interested.
4) I could add a timer.
5) It's going to come.. depth's on its way (can't promise when, though )
6) I could make it sooner if you wish, although it was way down my list of priorities.
7) I doubt I'll get as deep as afflicted states, but HP is very likely to come in a later version.
8) Making multiple levels is not something I have yet managed to do in Alice. With the approach I'm taking with this world, though, it might be as simple as shifting around some CPs, and possibly, terrain. Don't worry though, it'll be on my mind.
9) Ah, graphics. The problem is that you cannot (easily) create anything yourself in Alice. I have to use pre-built models that are already in the gallery, as I have no experience in 3D-modeling. Would you have any suggestions as to which models you'd like to see in this world?
10) I'll keep it, as it adds to the 'commander' feel. It might come as an in-screen text-box, though, to not have the 'separated' feel it does now.
11) Once combat is implemented, and units will be able to be 'destroyed', there will most likely be more than three units per army, possibly even different types of units (slower but more power, fast 'scouts')

Finally, thanks for the praise, though I would most likely have to disagree that this is the best game on the forums. Not to say that I am not aiming for a great game, but it is still far from complete, and I have seen plenty other 'professional' games by authors such as Madden.

Once I fix all the current problems, implement all the suggestions, this game might be aiming for the title. As of yet, there's still a lot of work to go...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJim View Post
I tend to disagree with the first point but am in qualified agreement on the second.

Disagreement - With something of this quality, you are better off with Flash, since you can actually export it to someone without having to ship all of Alice with it - and you are developing skills with a commercially accepted tool.

The first hopefully will change with Alice 3.0 - but it still will remain a teaching tool, not a commercial application (the right choice for a university, IMO ).

Also Action Script is very object oriented (really more so than Alice 2.x) so it's a nice thing to learn. And when the "real OOP" (hopefully) Alice 3.0 comes out, the skills you pick up with Action Script should be helpful there also.

Qualification - I doubt that I've actually played more than a quarter of the games posted, even the big ones.
Having personally experienced Flash, I would have to agree with DrJim. It is a great, versatile programming environment, and, although with a very different approach than Alice and a higher learning curve, it produces superior results with, sometimes, even less effort. Being a widely accepted format is just another great plus.

Having tried out Alice for quite some time did indeed help me pick up ActionScript easier, and although I had to devote my entire last week to it, I have managed to master the basics of AS 2.0 . However, I am now faced with the challenge of advancing higher, to the relatively new AS 3.0, which supposedly comes even closer to Java. I am still speculating over when to breach into new territory.

So I would like to apologize that I didn't work on T.A.C.T. over the past two weeks. However, getting comments and so many suggestions is urging me to return to the project. A project that I could already imagine being made in Flash in a much simpler way.. But accomplishing the same task in Alice seems almost to be like a challenge to me :] I have to think of workarounds to accomplish things that Alice won't voluntarily do...

I cannot promise when I will get the next version out, as I have a lot of things going on: school and life, just to mention a few And my free time is often split with either picking up a book to continue reading or sitting down to churn some mathematical brain power and learn some more programming. Flash is just more exciting at the moment than Alice, but I'll continue this.
I can promise that :]

So thank you for all the responses, and please don't hesitate to post more!

Sorry for the huge post