View Single Post
Old
DrJim

Default 05-19-2007, 07:50 PM

Won’t try to get into a discussion of “objects,” “classes” etc. in Alice vs. the “ususal” object oriented languages – will leave the “fireworks” to others.

I will note that you can effectively pass a sub-object with a method call – it has to be passed as a combination of an object name and a string as per the attached and the method has to use the “<object>’s part named <string>” function block (see attached).

This does appear to be a fairly robust approach - as long as the full name for the part exists, there seems to be no restriction on what object or sub-object “owns” the method. It can also be quite useful, although the lack of restrictions and the multiple naming conventions used for objects in the Alice Gallery can make using it a bit tricy.

(An earlier set of e-mails discussed the “<object>’s variable named <variable name>” block which seems similar. However, to me at least, that construct is not particularly useful. I'd like to know if anyone else has figured out an effective way to use that. )
Attached Files
File Type: a2w Flap.a2w (544.5 KB, 747 views)