View Single Post
2.0 vs 3.0
Old
hgs

Default 2.0 vs 3.0 - 08-04-2006, 05:34 AM

Thank you for your prompt reply. (It must be well before breakfast over there ) I think we will proceed with developments based on 2.0, and we'll just to reduce coupling between classes as much as possible, so that we can ease any transition to 3.0 in the future.

What has attracted us to this route is the intuitive nature of the interface for building worlds from the supplied models. Were I to express any wishes for 3.0 it would be that the ability to create objects of our own be made as straightforward, by facilitating imports of "traditional" 3d formats such as .OBJ, .3DS, and so forth. It occurs to me that allowing intuitive manipulation of points, edges and faces, in combination with a paintbrush tool, or material toolbox, would permit the construction of new objects using the present Alice interactivity or programming.

The only other thing I have wanted is the import and export of source code, so that I can write programs that write Alice programs. This does introduce the problems of compilation errors that your interface neatly sidesteps, so maybe allowing Alice programs to create Alice programs would be worth considering.

I wish you all success with the development of 3.0.