View Single Post
Old
x2495iiii
Super Moderator

Default 08-11-2010, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by debussybunny563 View Post
Very good game! Plays smooth, and some bugs that were in the first version were fixed (the enemy tank would sometimes resize a bit when it came towards you).
Yeah, that was a weird bug, and it seemed to happen when I told the tank to turn to face the player. Fortunately, "point at" is fine.

Is it possible to get a different weapon? I looked at the variable, and what would the other weapon's name be? Yup, SWAG and Rosethorn are the values you need.

To settle this 'tread' issue, tanks can't move from side to side. To move right or left, one tread has to rotate faster than the other to make it turn, and then it goes on its new course.
So, the turret can rotate, but the body part of the tank shouldn't.
However, this makes for a really weird control scheme, and I like the way X has made it for this game.
Thanks

If I want to go diagonal, I ALWAYS press two keys at the same time. lol
If anything weird happened, it seems to be gone now.
If I press two to move diagonal, the tread goes diagonal, so... fixed!
Yay!

Some things:
The calibration isn't perfect, but pressing 0 works that out.
However, the crosshair still isn't where my mouse is. It's lined up on the line of fire (draw a line from the sleight to the crosshair) so you can still aim accurately, but I just think it'd be nice if you could make the crosshair right on the mouse. I was thinking about a way to do that, but I don't have high hopes. Apparently it can have a different starting position relative to your mouse every time you play it, as I recently had the same thing that happened to arty happen to me, where it was being weird at first, but then followed my mouse perfectly. I'll fool around with it but no promises.

Pressing R to reload is kind of weird because as soon as you fire, you have to reload, and you can't fire more than one shot in a row. Maybe you could have

Oh wait. Never mind! Wow, I need to look closer. Just realized that renaming the variable SWAG will bring back the weapon found in the first version.
However, the reload feature is still kind of ludicrous for the rosethorn, as it is single shot.
There's a nearly identical weapon in Alien Swarm called the Rail Gun that shoots magnetized pieces of metal at immense speeds and pierces enemies, but the weapon can only hold one rail at a time, so you have to reload it every time you fire. You're not supposed to use it for general combat, mostly as a way to cause high piercing damage to a specific target, like a large shielded enemy (also in Alien Swarm). I plan to add a feature to let you buy/unlock/choose the ability to reload faster as well, so it's not ludicrous, it's by design.

Yeah, and I also like the crosshair. It's really nice how you have multiple textures for it when you can fire or can't (like how it blinks red when you need to reload). Thanks.

As for collision detection, yes, it's a bit touchy, but it'll be fixed.
I like the explosion, plus how one tank splits in half when destroyed. Thanks again.

EDIT: Ahh, this post took me too long to write. It should have gone before Dameria's and X's last posts, so I didn't get to read what they said before posting. Sorry!
Responses in bold. Thanks for the feedback. And Dameria, my guess is your collision detection system would completely outdo simultaneous functions for one character colliding with walls and objects, but I was looking for a way to get a speedy and compact collision detection for a list of several objects against another list of objects, like bullets against enemies. That's what this does. If you have a way I could further improve it, let me know. Thanks.