Alice Community

Alice Community (http://www.alice.org/community/index.php)
-   The Lounge (http://www.alice.org/community/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Standalone exe (http://www.alice.org/community/showthread.php?t=4089)

zonedabone 03-17-2010 06:37 PM

Standalone exe

Hey everyone! I was thinking about how MAMA creates "standalones" but it doesn't. It creates something rather close, however! a folder that needs itself! I propose that, with a bit of work, that folder can be turned into a self extracting zip file! This would be perfect, as it would be just one exe file, and, for those of us who don't like people cheating on our games, is completely closed source! This would be good for one of my game ideas, where upgrades through the internet are required. It would be dumb if people could hack it and just upgrade it themselves! Windows has a utility for this! Under start, click run. Type IExpress, and click run! This is a built in windows tool. Try it with a mama file!

King Gamer(gorit) 03-17-2010 06:43 PM

What

Ok, I'm Not understanding, what about mama??

Jeremytroid 03-17-2010 06:45 PM

Yeah, dunno.

But I would like Alice to be able to make stand alone programs.

King Gamer(gorit) 03-17-2010 06:54 PM

Yeah, that would be awsome.

zonedabone 03-17-2010 07:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
That's essentially what I'm doing. The problem is that alice doesn't so I found a way to do it myself!:D Also, King. I found a great folder to put any save data for alice! In the required folder! this code gives the location of the required folder:
[PHP]import java
java.lang.System.getProperty('user.dir')[/PHP]

Isn't that awesome! Such a simple command for such a great thing! This command loads different things about the computer. There are several dozen of them! I've put the notable ones in the world below. Anyone who has an operating system other than WIndows XP, please post saying which of these work for you. Thanks! For a full list of keys that can be used, I looked at [URL]http://leepoint.net/notes-java/io/30properties_and_preferences/40sysprops/10sysprop.html[/URL]. Good luck!

King Gamer(gorit) 03-17-2010 08:40 PM

Ok

[QUOTE=zonedabone;18603]That's essentially what I'm doing. The problem is that alice doesn't so I found a way to do it myself!:D Also, King. I found a great folder to put any save data for alice! In the required folder! this code gives the location of the required folder:
[PHP]import java
java.lang.System.getProperty('user.dir')[/PHP]

Isn't that awesome! Such a simple command for such a great thing! This command loads different things about the computer. There are several dozen of them! I've put the notable ones in the world below. Anyone who has an operating system other than WIndows XP, please post saying which of these work for you. Thanks! For a full list of keys that can be used, I looked at [URL]http://leepoint.net/notes-java/io/30properties_and_preferences/40sysprops/10sysprop.html[/URL]. Good luck![/QUOTE]

This will be good for use with our studios games. We will be able to integrate this in to beta worlds and have people post it for us with there reviews and any errors. It would allow us to isolate problems. O and it said I had vista, I have 7:( but other than that no errors

meirs 03-18-2010 07:02 AM

[QUOTE=zonedabone;18595]Hey everyone! I was thinking about how MAMA creates "standalones" but it doesn't. It creates something rather close, however! a folder that needs itself! I propose that, with a bit of work, that folder can be turned into a self extracting zip file! This would be perfect, as it would be just one exe file, and, for those of us who don't like people cheating on our games, is completely closed source! This would be good for one of my game ideas, where upgrades through the internet are required. It would be dumb if people could hack it and just upgrade it themselves! Windows has a utility for this! Under start, click run. Type IExpress, and click run! This is a built in windows tool. Try it with a mama file![/QUOTE]
Mama 1.5.3 is just about to be released, it's now under final testings, and it includes support for encrypted standalones. I guess it will be out by tomorrow, given there will be no special surprises.
And if I understood correctly, what you're suggesting with IExpress is a packaging solution. Mama lets the user decide on the packaging, and all it requires to be able to run the standalone is the the exported folder, no matter where and how it is configured.

zonedabone 03-18-2010 03:29 PM

Nice job, meirs! I was also wondering something else. If we import an alice file into mama, will the python code still work? I don't need to be able to edit it inside mama, but it'd be good if it worked. Thanks!:D

meirs 03-18-2010 04:06 PM

Sure, it will. The scripts are saved with the world independently of the interpreter used when the world is ran (the interpreter is set in 1.5.3 by a configuration value).

jediaction 03-18-2010 04:47 PM

[QUOTE=zonedabone;18641]Nice job, meirs! I was also wondering something else. If we import an alice file into mama, will the python code still work? I don't need to be able to edit it inside mama, but it'd be good if it worked. Thanks!:D[/QUOTE]

Zonedabone, you are in the A-TOM game studio. Please report, we need your skill on something. We cant release the demo with out everyones help