Alice Community

Alice Community (http://www.alice.org/community/index.php)
-   Works-In-Progress (http://www.alice.org/community/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Realistic arm movements. (http://www.alice.org/community/showthread.php?t=7888)

room14 01-07-2012 05:35 PM

Realistic arm movements.

I have an idea that just might work instead of having to make the arm movements by hand, I might be able to automate the movements using complicated math involving trig and other math.

this means you can move the gun in more complected ways than ever, without the complicated codes and try and error. also you can re-arrange the gun without recoding.

this also adds the ability to draw out weapons rather than spontaneously spawning them. -Realistic 3rd person view.

arty-fishL 01-07-2012 06:04 PM

Well, if you can get it to work, that would be great :D. I'm slightly sceptical though; in my Air Ace game I used fairly advanced maths that I thought would be really easy to implement, but I confused myself completely, I eventually ended up doing it somehow anyway.

room14 01-07-2012 06:09 PM

this will be alot easier if the forearm and the biceps were the same length.

Mr Kidnapper 01-07-2012 06:56 PM

There's an entire field of science on this called "Inverse Kinematics" used to program robots. Perhaps you should research that. It could help.

room14 01-07-2012 08:35 PM

I know how to do it. but the math would be a lot easier.

x2495iiii 01-08-2012 04:16 AM

[QUOTE=arty-fishL;45328]Well, if you can get it to work, that would be great :D. I'm slightly sceptical though; in my Air Ace game I used fairly advanced maths that I thought would be really easy to implement, but I confused myself completely, I eventually ended up doing it somehow anyway.[/QUOTE]

I know exactly what you mean. I basically use one part math smarts and two parts trial and error when I make up new formulas in my games. I usually know the general idea of what the numbers' relations to each other should be, but not what the values should be, meaning lots of T&E.

jediaction 01-08-2012 04:09 PM

[QUOTE=room14;45326]I have an idea that just might work instead of having to make the arm movements by hand, I might be able to automate the movements using complicated math involving trig and other math.

this means you can move the gun in more complected ways than ever, without the complicated codes and try and error. also you can re-arrange the gun without recoding.

this also adds the ability to draw out weapons rather than spontaneously spawning them. -Realistic 3rd person view.[/QUOTE]

Ah, very good. I've tried many times doing animations and It's what I specialize in. I find it the most fun to. I usually work on my gun reloading animations. I have been working on a new animation. Not in Alice, but in reality. I've been figuring out what looks like the coolest animation and I figured it out. Changing weapons animations won't be that difficult. Once you get the math right, it's fun from there. I think I have projects with animation tests around the community if you need som help. Now, you say spawning? I'm not quite sure what you mean by "spawning."X helps a bit though above.

room14 01-08-2012 04:42 PM

[QUOTE=jediaction;45358]Ah, very good. I've tried many times doing animations and It's what I specialize in. I find it the most fun to. I usually work on my gun reloading animations. I have been working on a new animation. Not in Alice, but in reality. I've been figuring out what looks like the coolest animation and I figured it out. Changing weapons animations won't be that difficult. Once you get the math right, it's fun from there. I think I have projects with animation tests around the community if you need som help. Now, you say spawning? I'm not quite sure what you mean by "spawning."X helps a bit though above.[/QUOTE]

instead of instantaneously getting an item from thin air.

room14 01-08-2012 05:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I drew this diagram to explain the math.

just from alice you can find the values ab, bc, ca.
but that is not enough to find the angles.
what we need is line bd, ad or dc.
using heron's equation, we can find the area.
T= sqrt s(s-l.ab)(s-l.ba)(s-l.ca) s meaning semiperim.

and using the area, we can find the value l.bd
then we can find the angles using trig.

simple.

AliceMaster00 01-08-2012 05:24 PM

I wish i were in high school or college cauz, THIS MAKES NO SENSE TO ME WHATSOEVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ima middle schooler, not a supercomputer! In need to know how to get realistic arm movement!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!