Alice Community

Alice Community (http://www.alice.org/community/index.php)
-   The Lounge (http://www.alice.org/community/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Why is this place a ghost town now? (http://www.alice.org/community/showthread.php?t=10321)

RobertDevita 10-17-2013 02:31 PM

Why is this place a ghost town now?

It seems like everyone just ditched alice..:confused:

GoGators 10-23-2013 01:28 PM

Can't really argue with you there. I used to be really active but things came up and I pretty much ditched Alice. I graduated HS (at 15 yo) moved to a different continent and then started college classes. I still have a huge passion for 3d animation and Alice though and am now looking at maybe trying to get back into making games.

These forums were never hugely populated, but we're built up of a group of well dedicated and highly professional individuals who were willing to do whatever they could to help others.

Best of luck in your continued adventures within Alice!

-GoGators

ravsbhatt 10-28-2013 12:20 PM

You guys should do something about it.

fourbros 10-28-2013 01:30 PM

I'm gonna try to get back into alice.

josh734987593405793475903 10-28-2013 05:08 PM

I still hang here alot:confused:

RobertDevita 10-29-2013 04:44 PM

My college class uses this program to begin computer technology courses. Other students always ask me how I found out how to do things, and I always tell them about these forums. They just refuse to actually look at them.. idk why. I have also been trying to do something about it lol. I reply to any new post (as long as I can actually help the person). Someone should bring back the contests that it seems they used to have. It would be a great way to get people motivated.

Pidove 10-30-2013 03:45 PM

I teach alice to my friends.

x2495iiii 11-02-2013 10:45 PM

[QUOTE=RobertDevita;53621]Someone should bring back the contests that it seems they used to have. It would be a great way to get people motivated.[/QUOTE]

The last contests weren't really well-received.

My apologies if the forum seems like a ghost town. I think it's still active, just most of the active regulars are now passive regulars. Jed and arty supposedly still visit from time to time, but have moved on from Alice to bigger and more potentially lucrative things. At least one of the regs even made a popular iPhone app. Inspiring if you ask me.

I still keep the place clean and help whenever possible, though, and MrMoke, one of the most helpful regs ever to grace the forums, is still active.

MrMoke 11-05-2013 10:46 AM

Thanks for the Shout-Out

Yeah- I started using Alice in my classrooms quite a while ago, and found it to be a great tool for maintaining student interest while introducing basic skills such as flowcharting, the use of global vs. local methods and functions, and object interactions. Story lines, interactive games, all drew attention.
Every major project I invented for my students started as a personal quest("If I could do it, so could they").
So here I am, now retired from teaching, but still checking in to see how things are going with Randy's Dream.

Challenge to Team: Getting 3D to work in a mobile environment would be an obviously hard, but awesome invention. Students could carry their successes with them.

4m4ndaPu6h 11-07-2013 01:30 PM

Alice has been amazing all this time. Something will eventually come along and surpass alice.