Alice Community

Alice Community (http://www.alice.org/community/index.php)
-   Questions and Comments (http://www.alice.org/community/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Request for use two Alice pictures (http://www.alice.org/community/showthread.php?t=3695)

Morpheo69 12-22-2009 07:11 PM

Request for use two Alice pictures

Hello Alice Team,

We are two computer engineer students from Spain and we are working in our final project.

We are working in the spanish version of the game and as we are translating everything we have also translated a guide for the game.

This guide is a kind of a little book for the students to learn how to use Alice,

We would like to use an Alice photo with a coup of coffee and another one (on top of this forum).

Can we use these pictures?

Thank You in advance.

Irene and Sergio.

x2495iiii 12-24-2009 01:57 PM

Is this project a world made with Alice, or a program based on Alice, but translated?

If it's a world made with Alice, you can, because that's a product of Alice and uses Alice photos and logos anyway.

If it's a derivation of the original source code of Alice, but altered in some way from the original, then you can't because of the legal implications of using a copyrighted name while not owning the copyright or using the original copyrighted product (in its unchanged entirety).

If this doesn't answer your question, try asking lanceA. He's pretty knowledgeable about this stuff and (if I recall correctly) participated in the first discussions about this very topic.

Morpheo69 12-28-2009 07:18 PM

Our project is not a world made with Alice, is been a translation job
from english to spanish of the open source Alice 2.2, we have translated the interface and all the texts and images of the programming environment Alice (IDE).

Because of copyright reasons, we have changed the name of the product
to "Alicia" (spanish name of Alice) and besides translating the software we have created a 40 pages guide call "GuÃ*a Didactica Alicia" ("Alicia Educational guide") to explain spanish teachers and students how Alicia works.

We will be very gratefull if you let us use the image of the Alice
cartoon to set it on the front of our educational guide and if you could approve that we keep using the Alice Splash Screen at the start of the program but with the spanish title "Alicia".

Also we are going to edit this educational guide through lulu.com and to distribute it on Amazon as a product made by students and for students.

Thank you for helping us out.

Irene and Sergio.

jediaction 01-06-2010 10:17 AM

Well, if you have an E-mail, you can just E-mail Gabe and ask if you can, or send a privet message to him through the alice community

Morpheo69 01-07-2010 05:09 PM

Thank you very much!, but i don't know what's the Gabe's email, i only send him a private message. Thanks for your reply.

Dameria 01-07-2010 06:17 PM

You translated the whole Alice program into Spanish? That must have taken a lot of time and programming skill. I didn't even know that that was legal, did you get permission from the Alice team to even make a Spanish version of it? I don't think just changing the name is good enough. Its like me taking the Harry Potter Series and just changing its name to Henry Adams or something, and saying it is my book.

jediaction 01-07-2010 06:17 PM

oh its not exacly Gabes E-mail, but its like the ALIce team E-mail, im not on my computer right now, its broken, im on my moms, when ist fixed, ill tell you the E-mail

zarfang8 01-07-2010 06:19 PM

[QUOTE]Its like me taking the Harry Potter Series and just changing its name to Henry Adams or something, and saying it is my book. [/QUOTE]

Once i read a Harry Potter book. It wasn't all people make it out to be, but it was fairly intresting.

But what does that have to do with Spanish translation of Alice?

Nice job guys!
That's really cool What you are doing.

jediaction 01-07-2010 06:22 PM

Yah

Dameria 01-07-2010 06:33 PM

im just asking if they have permission of taking the whole Alice program and translate it and change its name? I'm pretty sure you need permission to do that.