Alice Community

Alice Community (http://www.alice.org/community/index.php)
-   The Lounge (http://www.alice.org/community/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Any Java Devs? (http://www.alice.org/community/showthread.php?t=6965)

zonedabone 07-20-2011 07:42 AM

Any Java Devs?

Hey, people! I have started work on a new version of alice that fixes bugs and adds much better support for Jython. Anyone here with java experience that feels like possibly helping with coding?

sfunk 07-20-2011 07:53 AM

I know arty is one of the few people on Alice who knows how to do all that coding stuff, try asking him

zonedabone 07-20-2011 08:36 AM

I've already contacted arty. We're the ones who started the scripting boom, so it makes sense that we support it fully.

One thing that I've already implemented is the ability to enable scripting from the preferences screen

x2495iiii 07-20-2011 08:48 AM

I've worked with Java for quite some time, but I'm somewhat busy at the moment. Any chance you could give me something relatively small or simple to do?

Nighthawk0973 07-20-2011 11:44 AM

This sounds a bit big for my Java skills but I can help in any way I can. Plus I can start out a Server/Client side application in Java, use .properties files, and I am going to look up how to run executable .jar files as a .exe file. (via C++, could restrict some of the operating systems it's avaliable for..., possibly a windows only feature though)

jediaction 07-20-2011 02:44 PM

Well, I am the first one to get notified about your work so...YEAH! I can't wait until your finished. I don't need to explain why I get instant notifications...kinda:D

David B 07-20-2011 02:53 PM

[QUOTE=jediaction;39405]Well, I am the first one to get notified about your work so...YEAH! I can't wait until your finished. I don't need to explain why I get instant notifications...kinda:D[/QUOTE]

You are actually the second person to know. I already have one member (who also is a member of the Alice Community Forums).

jediaction 07-20-2011 03:59 PM

What? You have a member? What do you mean?

Nighthawk0973 07-20-2011 04:58 PM

I signed up for his forums.

zonedabone 07-20-2011 08:07 PM

My thread got highjacked! This is alice related. Please no highjacking. I will be starting a github repo soon so that we can start work with everything. I think that I will leave the repo open to pull requests so that anyone who wants to help out can. I will start an issue list so that everyone can submit stuff they need to be done.

I hope people will like this. Currently Arty is planning on helping, and I have an IRL friend who may help out.

Feature list for now:
Preferences option to enable jython scripting easily.
Better jython support.
Fewer list bugs.

Note that in order to do this right copyright-wise, we'll have to change the name.
Current ideas:[LIST][*] Mango (IDK why)[*] JEdu (Java Education)[/LIST]I like the idea of JEdu, because it is simple and states what the software is, and won't conflict with any other software.

By the way, Alice won't build after being decompiled with JD-GUI, so please use the distributed source even though it's out of date. I will be trying to get the latest source soon.