Alice Community

Alice Community (http://www.alice.org/community/index.php)
-   Suggestion Box (http://www.alice.org/community/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   A DEBUG Mode would be really cool (http://www.alice.org/community/showthread.php?t=4686)

kjobrien 06-30-2010 06:38 PM

A DEBUG Mode would be really cool

Some sort of Debugging mode so you can see it step through your code line by line, while it runs. I think something like that would be awesome thats all I really know I want so far

King Gamer(gorit) 06-30-2010 08:35 PM

Hello, as a member of the Alice comunity I would like to ask you not to post two threads in difrent sections with the exact same content.
P.S. This has been posted on both your duplicate threads.

kjobrien 06-30-2010 08:41 PM

oops

Sorry I was trying to move my original post to the correct section. I was not aware I could not delete the other post kinda new to this forum thing

Dameria 06-30-2010 09:41 PM

I agree, a debugging option would be very useful (especially when you try to find that one line of code that is messing everything up). I haven't had any experience debugging with any other languages, but I know how it works and it would be a great improvement for Alice. The only thing would be that most people would not know how to use the debugging because they are newcomers, and it would be stuck on the first line of code for them and they wouldn't know what to do, so it would have to be a semi-hidden function, maybe somewhere in the options tab where only the people who know how to use it correctly would access it, but not somewhere in plain site like where the Play button is, because it would be used by the people who do not know its importance.

zonedabone 07-01-2010 12:56 PM

An object?

I'll work on a quick debugger for Alice. :)

it'll be in object form, so you can just import it and stop worrying. It'll involve dropping a debug method wherever you want a breakpoint, and cool stuff like that.

King Gamer(gorit) 07-01-2010 06:29 PM

It's to bad that you can't just comment out a line to test if it is the problem.

x2495iiii 07-01-2010 06:59 PM

You kind of can with the disable option.

Dameria 07-01-2010 07:20 PM

[QUOTE=x2495iiii;22777]You kind of can with the disable option.[/QUOTE]

I was just thinking that, and that is how I do a lot of my debugging in Alice. They should integrate one into Alice 3.0 though.

kjobrien 07-01-2010 07:52 PM

I also have used the disable line alot

I know there is this option, but they have no real debug tool and I think that would be really important to learn too because I have used some Microsoft languages and debugging was a really useful way to solve problems I know it made things alot easier for me. Plus there is alot of code that looks right to me for a long time until i find out its messing up the application
I cant wait to see what you come up with zonedabone

zonedabone 07-01-2010 08:10 PM

I was just thinking of a a little object. When you have code you want to test, put a method called breakpoint before and after it, and then when the world crashes, it will tell you which breakpoint it reached.

MrMoke 07-08-2010 09:39 AM

Old Timer Solution

1 Attachment(s)
This isn't a problem for Old School programmers. The print statement can be used anywhere that you suspect there might be a problem, and it can display just about anything. See the attached (I hope) example.

zonedabone 07-08-2010 01:05 PM

Yeah. I do want an advanced debugger, though.:o