Alice Community

Alice Community (http://www.alice.org/community/index.php)
-   Works-In-Progress (http://www.alice.org/community/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   RP4 Prototype (http://www.alice.org/community/showthread.php?t=8285)

x2495iiii 04-01-2012 01:59 PM

RP4 Prototype

Tried getting some private testing done, but it didn't work out so well, and I'd like to keep things moving with this project, so here goes.

Feel like testing a world I'm making?

If so, read on, otherwise feel free to ignore this.

The world I'd like tested has a few new but somewhat difficult mechanics that I'd like to get some feedback on as far as playability goes.

Here's the world:

[url]http://www.mediafire.com/?d5lcyas86nfvz3a[/url]

Stuff I want your feedback on:

-Functionality: Does the world load properly? If it looks dark, it's because the lights (main and ambient) are at half brightness, so feel free to adjust that if you need to.

-Aiming. Use the mouse to aim. It's new and the scripting stuff makes it kind of jerky. Is this too much of a hindrance, or is it still possible to track and hit moving targets?

-Firing. Click and hold any mouse button to fire. Does the animation look smooth? Are the sounds playing properly? Are they too loud? Do the effects work well together, or are they disruptive? Test all three guns, if you can. (Effects only written for revolvers, but each gun has distinctive shooting and reloading sounds). Finally, the game is meant to be played using autofire, so button mashing doesn't make you fire faster. Is this preferable?

-Switching weapons. Press 1 to switch your left gun, and 2 to switch your right gun. Are the switching methods intuitive enough? Do the different guns work well together?

-Reloading weapons. Guns will automatically reload when you try to fire without ammo. Would you prefer they automatically reload when the last bullet is fired? You can manually reload the left gun with 'q', the right gun with 'e', and both guns with 'r'. This is meant to support the use of different guns in each hand, as well as to enable the player to fire one gun while reloading the other. Furthermore, reloading when bullets are left in the gun is faster than reloading when empty (for the revolver, less rounds have to be loaded, and for the other two, the round doesn't have to be chambered).

-Hit detection: the zombie should register being hit on each subpart individually. Is the effect visible enough? Is the crosshair accurate from a distance? Are you able to sweep your cursor across the zombie and have hits register only while the the center of the crosshair is over the zombie (keep in mind the guns fire relatively slow compared to the speed at which you can move the cursor)?

-Improvements: Any ideas on what should be changed or added?

Many thanks in advance, guys.

sfunk 04-02-2012 07:36 AM

-Functionality: Does the world load properly? [COLOR="Red"][B]Yes[/B][/COLOR]

-Aiming. Use the mouse to aim. [COLOR="Red"][B]The mouse aiming that you use is very smooth for now(unknown possibility of lag undetermined due to example, not full game) [/B][/COLOR]

-Firing. Click and hold any mouse button to fire. Does the animation look smooth? [COLOR="Red"][B]The animations look fine for the type of weapons the character is using[/B][/COLOR] Are the sounds playing properly?[COLOR="Red"][B]Yes[/B][/COLOR] Are they too loud?[COLOR="Red"][B]Just Fine[/B][/COLOR] Do the effects work well together, or are they disruptive?[COLOR="Red"][B]Work well together[/B][/COLOR] Test all three guns, if you can. Finally, the game is meant to be played using autofire, so button mashing doesn't make you fire faster. Is this preferable? [COLOR="Red"][B]Honestly, I have no preference, but i'm sure users would enjoy the option to switch between either or[/B][/COLOR]

-Switching weapons. Press 1 to switch your left gun, and 2 to switch your right gun. Are the switching methods intuitive enough? [COLOR="Red"][B]Personal opinion on this is that the switch methods should be the letters "C" and "V", this makes it so you don't have to stretch your fingers that you are using to move your character and reload, give those fingers a break and let your thumb do some of the work :P[/B][/COLOR] Do the different guns work well together? [COLOR="Red"][B]Yes, but I feel as if the scorpion is a little to small looking compared to the other guns[/B][/COLOR]

-Reloading weapons. Guns will automatically reload when you try to fire without ammo. Would you prefer they automatically reload when the last bullet is fired?[COLOR="Red"][B]I like it the way it is, it gives more of a survival horror feel, not knowing whether or not you are on your last bullet or no ammo at all[/B][/COLOR]

-Hit detection: the zombie should register being hit on each subpart individually. Is the effect visible enough?[COLOR="Red"][B]The effect is easily visible[/B][/COLOR] Is the crosshair accurate from a distance?[COLOR="Red"][B]As far as I could tell, yes.[/B][/COLOR] Are you able to sweep your cursor across the zombie and have hits register only while the the center of the crosshair is over the zombie (keep in mind the guns fire relatively slow compared to the speed at which you can move the cursor)? [COLOR="Red"][B]When trying this, it would register the hit on the zombies chest or miss(I am guessing it missed from the crosshair being between the zombies arm and chest or something along that line[/B][/COLOR]

-Improvements: Any ideas on what should be changed or added?
[COLOR="Red"][B]I'm sure you are already thinking of a health system, so there's that, how about the option to unwield the second pistol to gain more maneuverability/speed. And lastly, just put that usual flair and effort you normally put into your games to make it another shiny example of a good/great/excellent(take your pick lol) work of art in Alice. [/B][/COLOR]

x2495iiii 04-02-2012 10:56 AM

Glad it loads properly.

That's good. Did you try circle-strafing and tracking the zombie simultaneously? I found that difficult, but perhaps that's unique to my system.

Switching between auto-fire and button mashing could be difficult to implement. I'll consider it a secondary-priority feature.

I can easily change the keys used to switch the weapons. In fact, I may be able to work a way to customize controls in-game. Should the number keys be used for the power activations then?

I was considering adding a HUD to track your ammo and health, among other things, but since that's easily done, I wanted to test the physical mechanics before moving on.

Not using the second gun is possible to add and could be used plausibly to make reloading faster, but otherwise there's no real advantage to it (there's no recoil or accuracy modifiers to consider as of now). I doubt I'll add it, since I was planning on implementing upgrades for the guns (damage, clip size, reload speed, etc.) already.

And I plan on giving it plenty of flair, I just didn't want it to turn out like RP Trophies: liked for the flair, panned for the gameplay issues.

Thanks for taking the time to test it. I really appreciate it.

sfunk 04-02-2012 11:31 AM

That's good. Did you try circle-strafing and tracking the zombie simultaneously? I found that difficult, but perhaps that's unique to my system.

[B]I didn't have any trouble while strafing around[/B]

Switching between auto-fire and button mashing could be difficult to implement. I'll consider it a secondary-priority feature.

[B]I kind of figured it would have been troublesome, but something to keep in mind of course for future projects[/B]

I can easily change the keys used to switch the weapons. In fact, I may be able to work a way to customize controls in-game. Should the number keys be used for the power activations then?

[B]The in game customization would be great so everyone could set it to what works best for them, and numbers for power activation would logical, assigning weakest power a low number and go up in strength with number[/B]

I was considering adding a HUD to track your ammo and health, among other things, but since that's easily done, I wanted to test the physical mechanics before moving on.

[B]Makes sense to wait to do the easy stuff[/B]

Not using the second gun is possible to add and could be used plausibly to make reloading faster, but otherwise there's no real advantage to it (there's no recoil or accuracy modifiers to consider as of now). I doubt I'll add it, since I was planning on implementing upgrades for the guns (damage, clip size, reload speed, etc.) already.

[B]Well pile on the weapons then haha[/B]

And I plan on giving it plenty of flair, I just didn't want it to turn out like RP Trophies: liked for the flair, panned for the gameplay issues.

[B]Well life is all about trying, and if you fail, at least you know not to do it that way again[/B]

Thanks for taking the time to test it. I really appreciate it.

[B]No problem, glad to help out. and almost forgot to say this. maybe make a key to UNlock the mouse instead of having to use the backspace key[/B]

x2495iiii 04-02-2012 12:52 PM

I was planning on implementing three weapon types, all of which are demonstrated in the test world: heavy, auto, and normal.

Heavy guns are the hand cannons that fire slowly and have less ammo per clip, but do the most damage. The S&W 29 is a heavy gun.

Auto guns are the ones that fire the fastest and have the most ammo per clip, but do the least damage. The M-93R is an auto gun.

Normal guns are balanced all around, but typically reload the fastest. The Sig Sauer is a normal gun.

The handgun models I posted are supposed to be in the game, each classified as one of the three types.

Also, F1 unlocks the mouse.

BlackOpsZombieMaker 04-02-2012 04:19 PM

This is like mine but better, i dont like the mouse control though. otherwise yeah its cool.

we could partner up and finish this crap lol. publish an actual version

x2495iiii 04-02-2012 04:26 PM

O...K then.

Anyone else care to offer their feedback?

sfunk 04-03-2012 06:43 AM

[QUOTE=x2495iiii;47737]Also, F1 unlocks the mouse.[/QUOTE]

I must have missed where you mentioned that previously

x2495iiii 04-04-2012 03:29 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Added some more to it:

Code for a potentially infinite amount of zombies (try duplicating them yourself if you like, just be sure to rename them by capitalizing them and spacing the numbers to maintain consistency)

Code for lifebars representing the individual zombies' respective health amounts.

Code for damage modifiers according to gun used and part hit (Revolvers do 6, Sigs do 3, M93Rs do 1, number is multiplied by 2 for headshots, 1 for body shots, and 0.5 for anything else).

Code for target validation: shooting the ground and sky won't register as a hit

And finally, two more zombies, made by duplicating the first zombie, to demonstrate the first point.

x2495iiii 04-04-2012 01:31 PM

I just found out that the game lags when the Sig Sauers are the active weapons. I looked through the code and I have no idea why. Does anyone have an idea what it could be?

I tried changing the model for a lower-poly version already, so that's not the problem.