Alice Community

Alice Community (http://www.alice.org/community/index.php)
-   Bugs and Troubleshooting (http://www.alice.org/community/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   unable to load wold - help desperately needed (http://www.alice.org/community/showthread.php?t=6450)

user1434 05-01-2011 03:00 PM

unable to load wold - help desperately needed

Hey all,

I am unable to load a world that I have been working on for a long time. I would really, *really* appreciate being able to recover any or all of this file. Please let me know if you think you can help.

You can download my file here: [url]http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9101279/experimental.a2w[/url]

I would greatly appreciate anyones help in getting this file to open!!

Full error message (saving as text in this post caused an error): [url]http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9101279/error.png[/url]

Short error message:
Unable to load world
Alice 2.2

Throwable that caused the error:
java.io.FileNotFoundException: Not Found: NoCheck/__Unnamed3__/
elementData.xml

What I've tried:
I've read through the posts on here pretty extensively. I'm trying to unzip the file, make changes, and rezip it as a2w to see if it will load. The problem is, even if I go through these steps without changing anything, the error message changes, suggesting that I'm doing something wrong.

debussybunny563 05-01-2011 03:01 PM

[SIZE="2"][QUOTE=user1434;35039]alsjdflasf[/QUOTE]

Um...

Anyway, post the world please and copy and paste the error that pops up when you try to open the world.[/SIZE]

user1434 05-01-2011 03:04 PM

Sorry, it wasn't letting me save the post with the error in it. I have edited my original post

user1434 05-01-2011 03:29 PM

Even if I unzip the a2w and rezip it - without changing anything - the error changes to the following. This makes me think there is something fundamentally wrong with way I'm trying to fix the file

Unable to load world

Alice version: 2.2 02/10/2011

java.io.FileNotFoundException: Not Found: elementData.xml

x2495iiii 05-01-2011 04:28 PM

If it's throwing errors after simply unzipping and re-zipping, then there's something wrong on Alice's side, not the world's. For some reason, Alice is looking for a piece of the file that it expects to be there, but doesn't exist, so it throws the error and refuses to load the world.

Unfortunately when this happens, the only thing you can do is restore a backup and work from that. You could try placing some dummy data in the directory Alice is trying to read from (I was considering copying one of the unnamed folders, renaming it according to what Alice claimed to be looking for, then trying to open that in Alice), but I doubt that will work very well (if at all).

user1434 05-01-2011 04:37 PM

Thanks, x2495iiii. Would you mind trying quickly? I tried something similar, but have no experience with this, so could easily be making a mistake.

I'm looking at 10's of hours of rework at this point, so would really appreciate your help

aikmin 05-03-2011 05:23 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Please check your NoCheck method in the attached file. The attached file is zip file, so you will have to extract your .a2w file from it.

TauTrumpsPi 05-20-2011 10:11 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I'm having as similar problem with one of my current worlds, a random number generator for different sided dice. Can anyone help?
I've attached the file and here's the code:

Unable to load world

Alice version: 2.0 04/05/2005

os.name: Windows XP

os.version: 5.1

os.arch: x86

java.vm.name: Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM

java.vm.version: 1.3.1_10-b03

user.dir: E:\Alice stuff\Alice\New Folder\Required

edu.cmu.cs.stage3.alice.core.ExceptionWrapper: ClassNotFoundException: edu.cmu.cs.stage3.alice.core.question.math.Int

at edu.cmu.cs.stage3.alice.core.Element.load(Element.java:1498)

at edu.cmu.cs.stage3.alice.core.Element.load(Element.java:1483)

at edu.cmu.cs.stage3.alice.core.Element.load(Element.java:1531)

at edu.cmu.cs.stage3.alice.authoringtool.dialog.LoadElementProgressPane.construct(LoadElementProgressPane.java:36)

at edu.cmu.cs.stage3.progress.ProgressPane$2.run(ProgressPane.java:82)

at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

Wrapped exception:

java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: edu.cmu.cs.stage3.alice.core.question.math.Int

at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(Unknown Source)

at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)

at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(Unknown Source)

at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)

at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)

at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)

at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClassInternal(Unknown Source)

at java.lang.Class.forName0(Native Method)

at java.lang.Class.forName(Unknown Source)

at edu.cmu.cs.stage3.alice.core.Element.load(Element.java:1448)

at edu.cmu.cs.stage3.alice.core.Element.load(Element.java:1531)

at edu.cmu.cs.stage3.alice.authoringtool.dialog.LoadElementProgressPane.construct(LoadElementProgressPane.java:36)

at edu.cmu.cs.stage3.progress.ProgressPane$2.run(ProgressPane.java:82)

at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

Thank you for any help!

aikmin 05-23-2011 08:46 AM

@TauTrumpsPi

There is nothing wrong with your file. Try downloading Alice 2.2.

arty-fishL 05-23-2011 04:27 PM

Everybody should really read their errors, they make sense and actually help.

Observe this line:
[CODE]ClassNotFoundException: edu.cmu.cs.stage3.alice.core.question.math.Int[/CODE] [I]edu.cmu.cs.stage3.alice[/I] - being the alice interface.
[I]core[/I] - being core functions, responses questions etc
[I]question[/I] - referring to questions (functions)

[I]math.Int[/I] - referring to the int function found under [I]world > advanced math[/I] in Alice 2.2, but not 2.0, hense the ClassNotFoundException, where the class for this function does not exist in the Java code.

Therefore, as posted above, download Alice 2.2, which actually has the [I]int[/I] function.