Alice Community

Alice Community (http://www.alice.org/community/index.php)
-   How do I...? (http://www.alice.org/community/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Caps nbcfp help (http://www.alice.org/community/showthread.php?t=7844)

sargentnbbranco 12-19-2011 05:06 PM

Caps nbcfp help

So i have three weeks to work on a project, and me and my partner need help with AI's, Getting shot and exploding, and being able to blow up an air craft carrier. its a WWII game, BTY.:confused:

Mr Kidnapper 12-19-2011 05:53 PM

Now that you have collision solved, you use collision to detect if an object is within the threshold of the aircraft carrier. Now, remember what I told you to do?
Separate the aircraft carrier into parts. You don't have to go into a 3D design program and edit it yourself, you can use Alice shapes such as the box and set their vehicle to the aircraft carrier. To resize the shapes to the shape of the carrier, you can make a method that resizes them and click the "more" button to bring up resize from top to bottom, etc.
After that, you can make a list of objects that are part of the aircraft carrier's collision system. If a cylinder is within the threshold of the carrier's collision system, then you activate an explosion event. This explosion event is the artistic side and I can't really help you there. Make a cheap Alice fire or something.

sargentnbbranco 12-19-2011 06:00 PM

Well, thats a real nice way that almost has no garentee of falure. but my partner wants it quicker. If we just use this, will it work:
IF: cylinder is within <number> meters of box
aircraftcarrier.explode
Else
world.miss
with <number> being a value that i cant figure out is ideal right now.

Mr Kidnapper 12-19-2011 06:04 PM

If you're okay with your box being treated the same way as a sphere. Just remember, Aircraft carrier has a huge radius, but it's thin. I recommend just sending the aircraft carrier through the rectangle collision.

sargentnbbranco 12-19-2011 06:29 PM

[QUOTE=Mr Kidnapper;44929]If you're okay with your box being treated the same way as a sphere. Just remember, Aircraft carrier has a huge radius, but it's thin. I recommend just sending the aircraft carrier through the rectangle collision.[/QUOTE]

ok, but if you just use a box without collision detection methods like the one you mentioned. will it work if i just do if its within threshold of box, since that has a smaller radius? sory for the waste if it can't
:o

Mr Kidnapper 12-19-2011 06:46 PM

Well that's collision detection already. Remember, cylinder needs to collide with box first, Though I don't really see the point of using a box that is smaller than the target itself as the base for collision.

sargentnbbranco 12-19-2011 06:51 PM

[QUOTE=Mr Kidnapper;44932]Well that's collision detection already. Remember, cylinder needs to collide with box first, Though I don't really see the point of using a box that is smaller than the target itself as the base for collision.[/QUOTE]

Because in an aircraft carrier, a small bomb would tear up the deck and mabye what's below. but a condesed section where the ammunition supply or engine is could cripple a ship. or a tank. Trust me. after high school, im joining the marines, and i've done my studing :D

Mr Kidnapper 12-19-2011 08:00 PM

Seems a bit silly to ignore the rest though.

sargentnbbranco 12-20-2011 12:41 PM

mabye, but im in the class with my partner now, and he says its a good idea

sargentnbbranco 12-20-2011 08:36 PM

so im using Mr Kiddnapper's b-17, but i need help getting the bombs t launch simulstaniusly. help?