Alice Community

Alice Community (http://www.alice.org/community/index.php)
-   Bugs and Troubleshooting (http://www.alice.org/community/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   bug (http://www.alice.org/community/showthread.php?t=340)

Star wars fan 09-20-2006 05:57 PM

bug

I think some1 might have mentoined this but I couldn't find it again. After awhile on alice alice will shut off by itself and it gets annoying especially when working on something important. Any idea to stop it?

gabe 09-21-2006 10:44 AM

Can you elaborate a little? Is there any warning or message that comes up, or any steps that you can take which will duplicate the problem?

lanceA 09-21-2006 04:28 PM

Does Alice "shut off" or does your computer? If Alice shuts off what do you have to do to start using Alice again, reboot your computer? If Alice "shuts off" can you use your computer for anything else, i.e. M$ Word or something without having to reboot? :(

The only time I have ever seen Alice lock up is when a teacher activates a tool such as SychronEyes on student machines. That's not to say Alice will not lock up on older, slower machines.

Star wars fan 09-21-2006 05:12 PM

It just shuts off Alice not my computer the only warning I can remamber is there's an error blah blah blah send error report? But I might have forgot if it shuts off again and there's a warning I don't remaber I'll say what it is.

Star wars fan 09-21-2006 05:33 PM

I remamber

Just remambered it does say alot a warning that says something about saving in the next 15 minutes before it shuts down but I always save when it says that.

lanceA 09-21-2006 05:51 PM

Two things:

It's always important to remember the exact wording of error messages as they tell the program authors important information as to what might have caused the error in their software. "Blah, blah, blah" does not really help them troubleshoot the problem. When I receive an error message I write it down so I can repeat it verbatim to those whom might be able to help me.

Secondly, M$ Windows asks if you wish to "....send error report?". Alice may do that but I have never experienced it.

Star wars fan 09-21-2006 05:57 PM

the error it says is just your computer has recovered from a serieus error do you want to send a error repoert I thought you would know what I meant I'll try and remamber to be more specific maybe something in alice doesn't go with my computer very well next time I get that message I'll look at the details (but sending an error report once on something for me didn't entirely tell me how to fix it entirely but made it work better)

lanceA 09-21-2006 06:27 PM

Based upon what you told us, the error is more than likely with your OS, not Alice. It also could be due to a faulty memory chip. Anytime you receive the msg, "...your computer has recovered from a serieus error do you want to send a error repoert" [sic]... that message is being sent by your OS, not Alice. NO ONE really knows what they (M$) do with all the responses they receive to those messages. Perhaps if they receive enough of them they look into the problem.

The msg about saving every 15 mins is a part of Alice, however I seldom "Accept" it and it's never been a problem, including when I sometimes do save based upon that message.

May I ask what grade you are in at school? Part of being able to communicate a problem and to receive immediate help is to be able to spell properly and to formulate a comprehensive sentence. I mean no harm nor disrespect, but it has not been easy to ascertain your problem based upon what you have typed.

I wish you great luck and Good Programming !!

Star wars fan 09-21-2006 06:33 PM

I'm in 7th grade but I'm not exactly good with grammer and speeling but It could be worse like this jbhhuig ddnnnntikjdhui but the only class ever had with computers is learning how to type (even though I don't prefere keeping my fingers on a couple of keys and preesin) and math and reading/I think was also speeling but I'd rather have there be a proggraming class or club. And sorry because I was kinda lazy and didn't try to fix it by myself first I guess playing video games alot made me lazier than I thought.

Mr Nemo 09-21-2006 09:07 PM

Bug?

I've been having similar issues as far as Alice locking up. Usually in the middle of something it will freeze. Eventually, five minutes later, I get this message saying that Alice has "Stopped Responding" and do I want to "End Task". It may seem like a big thing, but the problem can be avoided by saving OFTEN, and occasionally closing Alice and then restarting it. I'm pretty sure it has something to do with ALice using too much memory.
How many MB of RAM does your computer have? What's the size of your virtual memory cache? What is your processor's speed?